1752785 Members
6230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Monitoring Disk state and IO

PeteIT
Visitor

Monitoring Disk state and IO

I'm wondering if it is possible to monitor the disk status of P2000 and P2040 Storage machines disks as well as the disks in the attached D2700 storage machines with SNMP. Is it enough to configure the SNMP settings on the devices and let my monitoring software listening for traps on the HP(enterprise11) and Compaq(Enterprise232) enterprises? Or is this not possible?

Im also wondering if it is possible to monitor the disk IO on the storage devices through SNMP. Hope someone can help me.

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Monitoring Disk state and IO

The performance monitor is built into the webpage.

If you configure the SNMP destination, the array will send traps in case of problems.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PeteIT
Visitor

So, with SNMP enabled and configured on those devices, it is able to send me information about IO performance (e.g. latency) through traps?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, it's possible to get these out of the API too. I've been using http://www.toms-blog.com/nagios-hp-msa-p2000-status-and-performance-monitor/

(haven't tried that one towards a 2040, would be nice to know if it worked there too).

In "HP P2000 G3 MSA System SMU Reference Guide" (same for MSA 2040) it says "The statistics section is not implemented." in the SNMP section and FA MIB. So I suspect you cannot get the IO performance metrics out of SNMP but status of some components is possible. Looks like individual disks/vdisks are "grouped into an overall status sensor".