1752727 Members
5739 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

P2000G3 FC Array - Expanding Vdisk by 4TB, time est - *3-4 WEEKS?!*

Nitz_Walsh
Occasional Contributor

P2000G3 FC Array - Expanding Vdisk by 4TB, time est - *3-4 WEEKS?!*

Apparently I'm not alone in this "problem".  I had a 16drive 300GB SAS drives setup as one Vdisk (RAid 50, two Raid5 sets).  On Wednesday I slapped in the last 8 to fill out the chassis, and started to expand the Vdisk - just selected the 8 new drives to add it to the current Vdisk (which was just one, previously configured not by me).

It's now early Friday, and it's just reached 10%.  At this rate it won't be done until at least 3 weeks.  This is a ridiculously long time for it to be in this precarious state.  I've checked the Utilities menu and the priority is set to high (cripes I had to see how long it would take when set to low), the disks are definitely active. 

I can't see how this is normal for any environment, but as mentioned I've seen others complaining about this.  I'm especially nervous because while we have a UPS, this is not a stable power environment - we have run out the 2 hour clock on the UPS charge and had a hard down in past couple of years.  So if we suffer a hard power down, am I basically toasting the entire vdisk?

1 REPLY 1
Danny Van de Pol
Occasional Visitor

Re: P2000G3 FC Array - Expanding Vdisk by 4TB, time est - *3-4 WEEKS?!*

You're not alone indeed. We had a similar operation that needed more then a week to complete ...