4666 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Resetting to default a A7393A StorageWorks 4/32 SAN switch

WallyBurger
Occasional Contributor

Resetting to default a A7393A StorageWorks 4/32 SAN switch

I inherited 2 Storageworks 4/32 SAN switches.  A7393A

I do not know or can track down the login credentials and want to reset it to defaults so I can make it usable.  Haven't been able to find any information on what to press/short/bump/hold/etc to achieve this outcome.

Any help appreciated.

I also can't seem to get the serial port to respond either, so a factory reset seems in order.

6 REPLIES 6
NSharon
Frequent Advisor

Re: Resetting to default a A7393A StorageWorks 4/32 SAN switch

Hi,

You may want to refer here :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01743680&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Thanks

I work for HP.

If you find my Post Useful please click on the thumbs up!
WallyBurger
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for that.  I did find that document, but my issue is I cannot log onto the switch to run any commands.

Is there some external way to reset the switch to factory defaults?  Is there a hidden microswitch, a jumper that needs to be set, a DIP switch, a chicken sacrificed in a certain way on the full moon or some other procedure that I need to do?

NSharon
Frequent Advisor

Hi, If this is to do with password recovery you could get a case raised with HP Support to get a HP Engineer do it for you(you may be charged for it).

Thanks

I work for HP.

If you find my Post Useful please click on the thumbs up!
WallyBurger
Occasional Contributor

Managed to get a working console.  Discovered the switch is running a linux operating system.  This information enabled us to boot switch to single user mode and replace the password with the default, where I can now login and configure.

Bit mandrolic, but worked without having to pay a HP tech.

Bujal
Occasional Visitor

can i know how you reset defaut the san switch?

@WallyBurger wrote:

Managed to get a working console.  Discovered the switch is running a linux operating system.  This information enabled us to boot switch to single user mode and replace the password with the default, where I can now login and configure.

Bit mandrolic, but worked without having to pay a HP tech.

WallyBurger
Occasional Contributor

As mentioned in my last reply, one of my co-workers connected a serial console (or similar - minicom session) to the swicth.  This gave us a console where we discovered the switch ran a linux like operating syste,.  By power cycling the switch and intterupting the boot (not sure if it was grub or lilo) we made the linux operating system boot to single user mode.

Once in the linux single user mode we were able to reset the root/admin password.  After a reboot we could then set up the switch as we liked.

You need to be familiar with basic linux to use this method.