HPE EVA Storage
1752483 Members
5521 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Add new hosts to B series switch/eva 4400

isadmin431

Add new hosts to B series switch/eva 4400

Hi I'm new to storage.  I'm thinking this is simpler than i'm making it out to be.  I'm adding two new VMware hosts to my environment.  Currently I have two hosts with two HBA's in each, an EVA 4400 with two controllers and two B series switches, here's what it looks like:

Switch A

Port 0 = Controller1, P1

Port 1 = Controller 2, P1

Port 2 = Host 1

Port 3 = Host 2

Alias ESX1 = host 1

Alias ESX2 = host 2

Alias EVA = both controllers on HSV300

Zone 1 = EVA & Host1

Zone 2 = EVA and Host2

SwitchB

Port 0 = Controller1, P2

Port 1 = Controller 2, P2

Port 2 = Host 1

Port 3 = Host 2

Alias ESX1 = host 1

Alias ESX2 = host 2

Alias EVA = both controllers on HSV300

Zone 1 = EVA & Host1

Zone 2 = EVA and Host2

How do i add two hosts, each with a dual port HBA into this mix.  Do I just Alias Host 3 and Host 4, add them into new Zone 3, 4 that also includes the EVA alias?  Then what do i do with the existing config (named CONFIG).  I don't want to disrupt my existing environment.  In the end i'm going to remove Host 1 and 2 from the mix, and only use 3&4, but i'm transitioning for now.

Would love some guidance.  Thank you.

-Robyn

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, I find that drawing a picture often helps with these types of questions.

But it looks like you got it right.

1. Add the new hosts into aliases in the config.
  2. Add a host and the EVAs to a new zone.
  3. Save and enable the config (this is non disruptive).

Doing the zoning changes via the GUI is probably easiest.

It's possible to download/upload the config (this includes the zoning details) - for example via the CLI commands: configdownload and configupload. Can be used in case of an emergency.

Make the changes in one fabric (so one B-series switch) at a time. If your hosts are set up properly, it shouldn't matter that one switch goes down.

Zoning can be done either via DID,PID (domain id, port id) - ie allow connectivity between ports in switches. Or it can be done via WWN - so in the zones you put the WWN of the devices that are allowed to talk. You shouldn't mix these two techniques. Benefit of WWN-based zoning is that you can move the device to another port and you won't have to update the zoning.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

You have the right idea.

1. Make new aliases for Hosts 3 and 4.
  2. Make new zones for Hosts 3 and 4.
  3. Add the new zones to the existing config.
  4. Enable the config.

As Johan mentioned, you could use DID,PID (the physical location of the port on the switch) for an alias. As long as you use just one form or the other, the switch hardware enforces the zoning. If you mix the two, then it is done through the name server (what is called "soft" zoning).

Best Practice would be to use the host/array port WWNs for the aliases.

----------

If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo