1748028 Members
5185 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cascade Brocade 4Gb SAN swt for c-class with McData 2/32

editps
Occasional Advisor

Cascade Brocade 4Gb SAN swt for c-class with McData 2/32

We just purchased three new c7000 with two Brocade interconnects each (AE370A). We have an existing McData 2/32 fabric that we would like to connect c7000 to. Only reason we need this connectivity is because we are sharing a MSL4048 FC tape library between the two racks for backups. What kind of licensing do we need for these two types of switches to work together and is there any tricks to make it work. From what I understand, only one link per from Brocade to McData is needed as a 'uplink'. Correct?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Cascade Brocade 4Gb SAN swt for c-class with McData 2/32

There are a few things you need to "look" out for...

Have a look here " http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00100962/c00100962.pdf "
for interoperability.

Quick rundown:

1. Since these brocade switches are new, they probably do not have any config on them so you should be ok with no duplicate zone names and such.

2. Set all domain ID's on the brocades to a unique number.

3. Connect one switch at a time

4. Use the McData Fabric Manager for zoning operations

5. Make sure your firmware is compatible.

6. You may need to set compatibility mode(s).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Oh... depending on the model you bought with the c-class enclosures, you may or may not need to upgrade to a full fabric license. I don't remember if the 4/12 comes with a full fabric license or not.

As for "working together", you should not need any additional license except the one mentioned above. You should be able to just connect the 2 switches (assuming you made all the proper configuration changes) and they should talk to each other no problem.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
editps
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response. I was actually looking at that document yesterday and it looks like we may also have to set McData priority as primary. I wasn't around when they were purchased. How can I tell if we have the full fabric license? Only feature installations we have is 16 port flexport lic.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

One additional, check also the Brocade APTPolicy setting and if it is set to 3, (exchange based routing), change it to 1 (port based routing). Thus it will be fully compatible with the possible EVA CA configuration in the future. Otherwise it might be forgotten and the EVA controllers will reboot and you will not see the root cause very quickly :-).
the pain is one part of the reality
editps
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the info. We actually have M-series 2/32 as our current fabric. Is there an easy way to check if we have full fabric license installed already? Is that same as NPIV license? Probably not but just curious because I am reading another thread where they mention that we may require this. I have a case open with HP for acquiring NPIV license. In this thread (ID# 1107764) someone mentions that we can get it for free from Brocade, is that true?

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1219162910802+28353475&threadId=1107764
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, if you are using the c7000 fc passthrough or virtual connect, then you will use the NPIV (N_port ID virtualization).
You will not have any E-ports from the c7000 but only NPIV. But you have written that you have bought the real fabric switch module - ae370a:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/3709945-3709945-3710104-3722786-3722786-3185340-3185342.html

which is giving you full fabric ports (not NPIV). The c7000 fabric switch module is more powerfull then the c7000 passthrough/vconnect because there is no port aggregation. The only problematic thing could be the Brocade/McData fabric switches interoperability.
the pain is one part of the reality