HPE EVA Storage
1752758 Members
4958 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4400 - Command View License - Lost after upgrade

SSITSupport

EVA4400 - Command View License - Lost after upgrade

A smaller client of ours still uses the EoL EVA4400 as a backup SAN. Until now all has been well, but an internal decision was made to repurpose the device and the array was reinitialized. With the later versions of firmware this wipes the CV license details which need to be re-entered; which of course they didn't make a note of. 

The device was purchased a number of years ago, and came with a CV license at the time - it doesn't now have any form of active warranty or support contract though. Surely it is still possible to recover the license details from HPE (which didn't exist at the time of purchase..) and put the device back in active sercice. It's currently using at the Instant-On licensing but this will of course expire.

So far I've been told it will be aroudn ┬г10k to purchase a new license, but I can't understand how the original license is considered "null and void" it the client didn't keep a copy of the activation key, that can't be right? Can HPE look up the original license from the node's WWN, has anyone had a similar experience or idea of how to assist our customer?

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA4400 - Command View License - Lost after upgrade

Hi

if you have command view server the license is on the server

if youwere using the managment module then you have a problem

Regards

MHuff
HPE Pro

Hello,

All licensing is actually stored on the array itself (the array keeps an array of internal data for configurations, licenses, etc. called quorum space). When you reinitialize an EVA, all of this data is erased and reconfigured. No license information is kept on any Command View server. Firmware upgrades will not cause any of this information to be deleted. However, this information must be re-entered to the array. The license is tied to the original array WWN and customer. That customer (must be the original purchaser) should be able to contact HPE licensing to recover that information. However, it must be the original purchaser.

I do not work with the licensing team and cannot claim for any of their policies. I work for the engineering team and can only speak for the array on a technical aspect.

Good Luck

I work for HPE Storage
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

if you have a server with command view that manages EVA systems

all licneses of EVA's connected to this server are placed:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Hewlett-Packard\HPCvEvaLic\data

the file name is LicFile.txt

if you connect an EVA that has been recognized by this server ( model and WWN) the licenses will be loaded automaticly.

Regards