1752609 Members
4291 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8k management

The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

EVA8k management

Have a few EVAs in my Datacentre. Need to monitor them 24/7 and ensure that they have call home akin to EMC.

Please suggest on tools for the same - money is not a limiting factor for the right tool.

It would be great if hp moderators could reflect on the same.

Thanks
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
11 REPLIES 11
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

I would want the EVA to call hp and for hp to dial in without any intervention by the admins. HP should do a check on the frame and advice on the issue if any.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
here
http://www.compaq.com/support/svctools/webes/index.html
is the best EVA monitoring solution for the continuous incident/event monitoring...
It does the smart filtering of the events and it can be integrated e.g. into the OVO solution, which can then create the incidents to your technical service stuff
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> HP should do...

I don't think this is included in the standard warranty, especially if it is a newer EVA. WEBES is only a very small part of a 'phone home' solution and HP is currently moving away from ISEE, if you are aware of it.

I strongly recommend that you get in touch with the HP service organization and discuss your needs with them so that you can order the right service level.

Your needs cannot be solved by installing a few 'tools'.
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

Firstly, thanks a lot for the responses.

Update -
1. Am trying to get in touch with hp folks and am running in circles - hope to get some response.
2. I am not certain if hp has a good call home feature as in EMC/IBM.
3. Anyways, shall post update as I get to them and fill in points once I get to a solution.

Regards,
Spartan
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

1. Give them some time to get back from the New Year party. If that does not work, you might have to escalate - in a large company it can take some time to talk to the right person.

2. I'm not familiar with EMC (do they still use those modems below the floor tiles?) or IBM - why not ask for an introduction and then judge?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

As Uwe mentioned HP are changing the way EVA's call home. They used to use ISEE which I think relied on WEBES.
They're now starting to move to HPSIM. With that installed you'll also need an ITRC Account and then register or get registered the contracts that include the EVA.
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

Uwe/Rob,

If HP are moving away from ISEE/WEBES, what would customers who don't have HPSIM (and don't really want to run it) use for monitoring etc EVA?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

In the near future there will be a stripped-down version be available for small environments which does not need HPSIM.
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

Isn't HPSIM a "stripped down" version of one of their other monitoring products?

We started implementing it (HPSIM) a few years ago, but it was a headache to get running and a bigger headache to monitor "non-HP stuff" so we bought another solution.