3631 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Getting started with a Storageworks 8-EL SAN Switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
B Chinn

Getting started with a Storageworks 8-EL SAN Switch

I'm converting from SCSI tape storage to fiber storage, so instead of using backupexec with one media server hosting the drive, i an planning on in installing QLogic 2340 HBA's in multiple servers, and connecting my LTO-3 drive via a SAN switch so each server can talk with the drive natively.

Here's my issue. I have no documentation for the 8-EL switch. i can plug the fiber cables in and see the tape drive, but other than that, I want to be able to talk directly with the switch, via a term program or telnet or web. i need to know how to assign the IP address to it's ethernet port. i need the default baud rate and data configuration for the serial port. I need the default admin username and password. I can't find any of this information in the downloadable manuals associated with this product on HP's website.

Can anyone having previous experience or a PDF copy of a "getting started" manual help me out?

Thanks
B
7 REPLIES 7
RM782
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Getting started with a Storageworks 8-EL SAN Switch

Hi

Baud rate is: 9600, data bits 8, parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none.

If your switch hasn't already been configured is address as default is: 10.77.77.77, and the account will be admin and password
B Chinn

one thing to probably note, something i discovered out of frustration, the serial port does not use a null modem cable, it uses a regular straight-through serial cable. this is probably why i was having the most difficulty connecting a terminal program to it.
RM782
Trusted Contributor

yes it is 2 to 2, 3 to 3, just a nice why of getting you to spend a bit more on another cable.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

?
All switches I've seen came with the correct cable.

People really should:
- carefully inspect the shipping box
- carefully save all material
- be nice and give *all material* to the next owner
B Chinn

>>All switches I've seen came with the correct cable.

yeah, well all i got was the switch. every switch i've previously used with a serial port uses a null modem cable. this is the first i've ever used that didn't.

>>People really should:
>>- carefully save all material
>>- be nice and give *all material* to the next owner

really good advice. wish the switch's previous owner had read this.

follow-up question......

does anyone know how to reset the switch to factory defaults?
RM782
Trusted Contributor

Hi

How far do you want to go?

by logging in as admin, switchdisable, configdefault this command will put most parameters back to factory default.

this will not change: WWN, zone configuration, SNMP, license keys, ip address, gateway or subnet mask.

If yu really want to go and kick the door in?

Login as Root, and run the following command.

ConfigRemoveAll

Be carefull what you do at the is level
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Careful, please. HP shipped those switches with different parameters than Brocade's "factory default". The support pages have a small config file with the correct ones to fix accidental resets.