4319 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to license OVSOM LTU on EVA3k ?

Davide Depaoli_3
Valued Contributor

How to license OVSOM LTU on EVA3k ?

Hello,
I need to know how to license OVSOM for more than 1TB on EVA3K.
I've SMA with only Command View installed and have requested OVSOM license password via www.webware.com, but the license received has an incompatible format with Command View licensing features.

Can anyone helps me about this ?
Thanks in advance
kind regards
Davide
8 REPLIES 8
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Davide,

you don't add the OVSOM license via Command View.
It's entered in Storage Area Manager.

Regards,
Stephen
Davide Depaoli_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Stephen,
if I have understood, it is mandatory to install SAM and license OVSOM from there.
Is it correct ?
But, my curiosity, if I install more than 1 TB on EVA with VCS 3.00 and don't license the OVSOM, the EVA view only the first TB or is able to manage all my TBs ?
This question because I don't understand how SAM and VCS works together.

Thanks
Davide
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Davide,

in short, they don't work together!
You don't need SAM to use the EVA. It's a completely seperate product. You can add more disks to the EVA, and Command View can use them. When you buy an EVA, you need to buy the OVSOM media kit, because that's the only place to get the correct version of Command View EVA. And you have to buy a license for it, too.

HP (or authorised partners) are required to install OVSAM as part of the Installation and Startup service for the EVA. Mind you, all you get is the Node Manager, which allows you to get a nice graphical view of your SAN, the status of various components, along with event logging and event handling. But lots of the extra features of OVSAM (Capacity Monitoring, Performance Monitoring/Baselining, Billing) are licensed seperately, and they ain't cheap! You can try them for 60 days with the Instant-On of OVSAM, but after that they are deactivated.

Regards,
Stephen
Davide Depaoli_3
Valued Contributor

OK Stephen,
but why HP say that EVA with VCS 2.xx has "OVSOM unlimited TB LTU" and with VCS 3.xx it is necessary to license every TB of raw space installed into the EVA ?
This is a "marketing" policy or a technical restriction of VCS ?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Davide,

I thought OVSOM was licensed either per TB or per array, regardless of the VCS version.
You either buy licenses in 1TB increments or an unlimited capacity use per EVA.
VCS 2.xx had a base VCS license (completely different from the OVSOM license) which needed to be installed seperately. You could not initialize an EVA without it. But I don't think it was capacity based. With 3.xx firmware, and Command View 3.1 or later, you don't need a seperate license for the basic functions of the EVA. The snapshot (Business Copy EVA) and replication (Continuous Access EVA) licenses are still seperate, and are licensed per TB or per EVA. But to use the EVA capacity as normal Vdisks, no extra licenses must be installed.

Regards,
Stephen
Davide Depaoli_3
Valued Contributor

I've spoken with HP italian product manager of EVA, that told me that is necessary and legally mandatory to buy OVSOM licenses for every TB raw installed on the array.
These licenses must to be installed on Storage Node Manager.

Davide
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

It may be a legal requirement to have an appropriately sized OVSOM license installed on your management appliance, but as Stephen points out, it IS NOT required to actually use the thing.

OVSOM licenses are entered in the Tools-->Configure-->Licensing screen of Storage Area Manager. Licenses for enhanced EVA functionality like Business Copy or Continuous Access are entered in the Agent Options-->Licensing Options-->Enter New License Key screen in Command View EVA. The two are completely separate.
Davide Depaoli_3
Valued Contributor

thanks to all