HPE EVA Storage
1753377 Members
5050 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

How to swap out Fiber/FATA drives on a EVA 4000

Jeff - Ceco

How to swap out Fiber/FATA drives on a EVA 4000

We have maxed out our EVA 4000. At HP's suggestion, we have purchased larger replacement set of drives: eight 450GB Fiber drives to replace 147GB Fiber drives and eight 1TB FATA drives to replace 400GB FATA drives.

I've looked through the help files and did some online searches, but cannot find anything that walks through the process of "upsizing" a drive.

1. Is it possible to do this "on the fly" or do you have to un-present and un-group the drives (essentially remove them and the data completely) -- I know probably a stupid question, but I have to ask.

2. If not, I have enough space to temporarily copy the data, but we are very frugal here (okay, cheap) and don't have any data replication licensing. I do see a "Create Snapshot" button and a "Create Snapclone" button... could those be used to move the data, remove the drives, put in the larger drives and then restore the data (keeping the process on the EVA)?

Thanks for the help!

1 REPLY 1
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: How to swap out Fiber/FATA drives on a EVA 4000

Hi,
so originaly you have 2 DGs:
1a. of FC/146GB drives
2a. of FATA/400GB drives

and the new are

1b. FC 450GB drives
2b. FATA 1TB drives

If you want to replace the old with the new and then remove the old, the quickest way could be temporary group the new FC drives to the existing FC DG and the new FATA drives to the existing FATA DG, wait for the leveling and then ungroup the original disks from both the FC and FATA DGs

Mixing the disks of the different sizes is allowed but not recommended because of the performance reasons. But in case you want to remove the original disks it would be only the temporary situation during the "migration" to the bigger disks sizes.

the pain is one part of the reality