MSA Storage
1752734 Members
5651 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 1040 - Restoring from a Snapshot

Richard87

MSA 1040 - Restoring from a Snapshot

Looking for some clarification on the Snapshot feature on the MSA1040.  I can't seem to find a definative answer as to whether you can recover data at the file/folder level from a Snapshot.

3 REPLIES 3
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1040 - Restoring from a Snapshot

The MSA is not a NAS Filer, it is a Block Storage.

You can present the Snapshot Volume temporary to any Server and than access the Old Volume.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
JoeSLC

How do you do that? "present the Snapshot Volume temporary to any Server and than access the Old Volume."

Joe

@JoeSLC 

Snapshot is the reference point of the entire MSA volume which you have presented to host. Then formatted that volume with Host Operating System filesystem. Then you assign drive letter in case of Windows and create partitions in case of Linux. Then you create folders and files or we say that as writing data.

Now Snapshot is to go to that stage of the volume state when you have taken the snapshot. It's like click of picture to capture that moment. But keep in mind that this is at the blocklevel.

Now if you present this snapshot to any supported Host Operating System, then you can fetch the data which means you can see your files and folders at the Host Operating System FileSystem level.

You can also take File level backup as well with the help of some backup Software. 

In Windows you can check System Restore option as well which actually keeps different version of the file as well. At the time of restore you can restore accordingly.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo