3664 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Monitoring EVA witch Nagios

saavik
Advisor

Monitoring EVA witch Nagios

Hello!

I would like to monitor my eva6100 with nagios.

Is there anybody who can tell me how ?
9 REPLIES 9
Eric Delaet
Occasional Advisor

Re: Monitoring EVA witch Nagios

Hello,

I have been busy with integrating our Eva's in Nagios as well. Things I tried:

- Logging in straight on the WOCP, unfortunatly Command View looses it's connection then, so this is not really an option

- Logging in with a script and parsing the Command View output, unfortunatly sometimes Command View shows an EVA in error while there is no error (clicking on the exclamation mark "resolves" the problem, HP told me it was a cosmetical issue and should be fixed in future CV's, but in 9.2.1 sometimes exclamation marks still pop up).

- Capturing snmp output from CV ( go to system options, configure snmp ) with net-snmp, and parsing this in Nagios. This works rather OK but still, I don't like monitoring an "extra" step in between: if CV doesn't work, you don't receive an snmp trap (for example after upgrading CV snmp will be turned off), and your monitoring may show happily green while your EVA is on fire.

- A last option would be to forward the webes mails to a nagios service email account and let nagios take an action according to this. Again, you will be dependend of the Windows CV server (and your mailserver).

- The other option is to buy expensive HP software, but then it won't be integrated in your current nagios setup.

IMHO, HP really should give the option to monitor the Eva straight away via network, either a read/only WOCP so that CV doesn't loose connection or SNMP straight on the Eva, so that something important as monitoring doesn't rely on an extra Windows machine.
saavik
Advisor

Well, thanks for your info.

I am really disappointed that HP gives no good way to monitor the EVA.

We use CV but that is really bad.

So there seems to be no way out.
Pall Sigurdsson
Occasional Advisor

Yes, you can monitor it via SSSU which comes with CV. You can run the following plugins both directly from the nagios server or run it on the CV via NRPE or similar.
The link is here: http://opensource.is/trac/wiki/check_eva

ps: I am the author, so flame it gently :)
ant12
Occasional Contributor

The python script will work on Array Based Manager ?
zlo6996

Hi Pall,

Can you please update your check script, because it is not working with CommandView 10.2 ?

I would appreciate it very much.

BTW, your check script worked with CommandView 9.4 smooth and nice.

Thank you

HugoGoncalves
Occasional Visitor

Hi. Have you managed to put this to work?
Phil.Pearce
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Im not too good with linux, can someone explain how to get SSSU onto the nagios box?

On my 9.4 Command view I have - sssu_linux_x64 file but not sure if I have to install it or just copy it to a directory on the nagios.

any ideas?

Ninjagnome
Occasional Visitor

Please update the script to work with SSSU V.10 or higher - this would make it a lot more useful!

Thanks in advance.

Readers

Hi,

We are also unable to monitor HP EVA 6400 Storage Array from Nagios, with SSSU version 6.2.

In our case, the plugin shows the output with no objects identified. We have identified the default port is 2372, while the right port is 2374. Please could you tell us how can we change the default port from 2372 to 2374?

Thanks a lot