5680 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving Disks on EVA8000

TomEVAinfant
Occasional Advisor

Moving Disks on EVA8000

Hello everyone,

I have an RSS sets that includes 8 disks. All of them are on different enclosures, but 4 are vertically down bay 1 and 4 are vertically down bay 10.

I want to claim the space of the bay 10 disks and move the occupying disks back to bay1 where their partners are. What is the best way to do this?

Do I ungroup the Bay 10 disks one at a time, remove the disk, wait for levelling, then place disk into Bay 1 slot, group and then repeat once levelled? Or is it possible\advisable to do it a quicker way? Will the disk be incorporated back into its original RSS group also (I would hope it would as they're actually closer now also ;-)

Tom
13 REPLIES 13
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving Disks on EVA8000

Fast but unsupported way:
Pull the disk from one bay, insert it on the new bay before 1 minute.

Slow and supported way:
Ungroup the disks you want to move, move them to the new location, group them back.

You do not need to wait for the leveling to finish, only for the ungroup task.
TomEVAinfant
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much. I've got 4 to move on one EVA so I'll start with that and then there's about 20 on the other oo-er. Thanks for quick reply.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
but the verticality across the bays as you have it now should be sufficient
the pain is one part of the reality
TomEVAinfant
Occasional Advisor

Cheers,

The reason for moving them from bays 10 is that I need to add another 48 1TB FATA drives and I'm taking this opportunity to neaten things up and keep same disks in as close proximity as possible.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

unfortunately if you have e.g. 12 enclosures with 14 bays you cannot preserve 2 RSSs in one bay because the default is 8 so you need to combina the "full symetric" with "asymetric" design to use also the bottom 4 enclosures and preserve the verticality
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

to minimize the situation that you populize the first 8 enclosures verticaly and then having only 4 remaning enclosures
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

the method could be the following:
first 7 bays first 8 enclosures with the rest 7x4 enclosures non grouped and the next 7 vice versa
TomEVAinfant
Occasional Advisor

What we actually have at the moment is that we have just extended one of our EVA's into the remaining 6 shleves it can have. So we now have "18". In bay 1 there is an existing RSS sets that occupies 8 disks, my 4 disks that are staying and I will add the other 4 in due course. it means there weill be 2 empty slots left in bay1 which I will use at a later date.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

yes but then you need to reserve the 6 enclosures verticality somewhere in other bays to keep the parity disk state