New Discussion юеВ

Re: Next Generation of Command View EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
DELON KARRIM
Advisor

Next Generation of Command View EVA

Hi

I was wondering if HP would ever consider changing CV EVA in its next incarnation to make it host aware. By host aware, i mean deploy agents on each host that can report back to CV the status of the server, HBA, LUNS, when last a lun has been accessed, LUN usage, etc, etc?

Kindly advise the path if any changes would ever be considered.

Kind regards
Delon Karrim

5 REPLIES 5
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor

I doubt it.

I would assume that this is what Storage Essentials does and therefore they are not likely to provide the same functionality for free within CV.
DELON KARRIM
Advisor

So you think that they exclude much necessary functionality so that they can sell more Storage Essentials?
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I would not say exclude. but CV is not designed to be a reporting tool, it is solely for management of the EVA's.

Monitoring and reporting tools is what Storage Essentials would be classed as.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Hi Delon,

One thing to understand here is that, how CommandView works? It requests EVA's HSV controllers to obtain the information, the HSV controllers can only query to SAN Switch ports (where they are connected) they can do it beyond that upto hosts as well but they simply DON'T.

If you are looking at such an overall facility, then CV will be just a part of it. I thing this can be achieved by Brocade's Fabric Manager. It's capable of obtaining this information. Which I think is the right candidate to perform this function. Even it can upgrade the firmware on HBAs too, isn't that what you are looking at?
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

I'll prefer that next CV be multiplatform (at least Linux support) and EVA can be managed out-of-band (via ehernet ports).
Mangement server (with FC HBA) increasing cost of solution and some of the customers have pure linux environment, so they not wanted windows server...