4967 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P6300 iSCSI 1gb configuration best pratices

CiTox_HD
Advisor

P6300 iSCSI 1gb configuration best pratices

Hi,

Is there some best practices for iSCSI configuration for the P6300 1gb iSCSI controller.

Right now, I'm going with 2 vlans (see attach image).  Is this a valid configuration?  

Also, details on how to configure MPIO + HP DSM + Windows 2008 R2 with iSCSI are hard to come by.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

You can refer the installation guide for more help.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02858214/c02858214.pdf

regards

Sudhakar

CiTox_HD
Advisor

Hi,

I read the installation guide.  It doesn't talk much about the network configuration of the iSCSI network nor best practices.

It recommends to enable jumbo frame, but it doesn't show how to do it in the controller. (You need to make the changes directly in the CLI of the controller, etc... not a big deal, but not mention). 

Anyways, I'm still experimenting with MPIO on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and HP DSM. with my 2 vlans....

AWW
Occasional Visitor

I have to agree the HP Install guide and the P6000/ESXi Best practises documents are way to vague on the iSCSI side of things.

The document infers through the diagrams that a _single_ vlan and subnet is used for the entire iSCSI network, meaning that all EVA controller and Host connections would sit in the same IP space. However, if you come from an FC background, it's best.prac to have two discrete fabrics. If you apply this practice to iSCSI then you'd make two VLANs, and use two IP spaces to keep things seperated.

I have an iSCSI/FC EVA P6300 setup as per the original posters diagram, this seemed the logical and correct way to go. However, once I applied the best-practices settings to ESXi hosts, i.e. IOPS=1 and Round-Robin path policy the iSCSI controllers lock up within about an hours use and the array becomes un-responsive. I have only had success using Fixed Path PSP under ESXi - and frankly this _sucks_ because I/O is limited to a single 1Gb connection and it performs like crap.

There is -no- clear indication from HP or VMware on the correct way to setup the iSCSI connectivity to clearly indicate these specific configuration issues. Also, the best-prac document does not clearly indicate if the settings only apply to FC connected arrays/hosts, or if they are safe to apply for iSCSI connected storage also.

I would love to see a clearly stated comment from someone at HP that indicates without question the correct IP/VLAN usage and the correct MPIO / PSP rules to be used specifically when dealing with iSCSI connectivity.

Given the P6300 series arrays are sold as Customer/Reseller installable items and do not -require- HP installation - it seems logical to me that this rather important and simple information might be best made public to ensure proper installation of the product and to maximise it's performance and reliabilty.

I just need this document,,thank you to share

Spider7
Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same problem with iSCSI/FC EVA P6300 under esxi 5.0. Still no solution for Round-Robin path policy?