4388 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to setup load balancing MPIO on iSCSI

DoBaaij
Collector

Unable to setup load balancing MPIO on iSCSI

Hi,

We have a P2000 G3 SAN that is connected with two iSCSI connections to a Proliant G380 G7. There is no switch between them.  Both connections work, but not together.

The one I initialize first will be the only one that will be used, even when Least Blocks or Lease Queue Depth is selected. One path is active/optimized, the other is active/unoptimized and is therefore never used. I can't change the path to active/optimized:

• I've tried through the Device Manager > HP P2000G3 > MPIO. It gives an error message but with with no exception, just the explanation of wht the MPIO policy does with a red cross image next to it.
  • Via the MPCLAIM utility (mpclaim -l -d 4 4 0000000077010000 0 0 0) it tells me that it 'Failed to successfully execute DsmSetLoadBalancePolicyALUA. The parameter is incorrect'.
  • iSCSI Initiator. The hp:storage.p2000g3 is connected with two sessions. Selecting 'Devices > MPIO' tells me the Load balancy policy and that is has two paths, both connected and active. Changing it gives a 'parameter incorrect'.

After keep failing in setting it the MPIO to use more than the active path, i've updated the server's NIC as a last resort. The iSCSI version went from 4.xx to 7.xx, but with no change when trying to set all paths to active. I´m out of idea´s. I also do n't have the possibility to select Round Robin and I also don't know why.

I think i've read almost every document regarding to MPIO and HP's own manuals about the P2000, iSCSI and MPIO. It should almost work out of the box, but I don't know why.

P2000:

1 volume on a vdisk has a explicit mapping on the iSCSI ports A4 and B4 (seperate controllers)

Host interfaces on A4 is 10.10.20.20 (255.255.255.0) and B4 has 10.10.40.40

CHAP is disabled, link speed Auto, IP version 4, Jumbo frames enabled an iSNS disabled.

G360 G7:

• Enabled iSCSI on the NIC's through the HP Network. I've also set the IP adress in the HP utility. If I open it through the normal windows network to show it's details, the IP adress is different than the iSCSI one.
  • iSCSI uses 10.10.20.1 and 10.10.40.1
  • The two iSCSI NIC's are not in a VLAN and aren't teamed
2 REPLIES 2
AlexeyV

Re: Unable to setup load balancing MPIO on iSCSI

I have the same issue on HP DL360p Gen8 with P2000 G3 MSA FC/iSCSI. Tried it on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. What can I check to make it work?

Thanks.

DukeYen
Visitor

Re: Unable to setup load balancing MPIO on iSCSI

Did u try this "mpclaim -n -i -a" & "reboot" , maybe it's work!! (PS:My lab HP P2000 G3 with Windows Server 2012 Standard)