1753774 Members
7313 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ungrouping Disk on a Live EVA

Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Ungrouping Disk on a Live EVA

I am planning to ungroup multiple disks from a very busy Disk Group on a Live EVA8100, does anyone know of any issues/risks involved. This is one of our criticle EVA's that has to be on 24X7 and we can not afford any downtime.

Any advice will be apreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Ungrouping Disk on a Live EVA

Hi,
ugroup always work with one disk at a time it relocates all the data from the disk to the remaining disks in the DG. There is minimum risk of the dataloss during this operation...
Its good to have sufficient reasonable free space in the DG, because if you have very few the controller firmware could possibly block the ungroup operation due to the leveling which can take very long time...
the pain is one part of the reality
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Take into account that you may need more space free on the disk group than you think:

Advisory: EVA Disk Drive Ungrouping Guidelines with Vraid1 Vdisks present

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01204531тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=321347&prodTypeId=12169

Also, if you have space-efficient snapshots, take into account the space they may need.
If you're using Continous Access, and the logs are on that disk group, and there's a interruption on the replication, they may start eating space too.

Ungroupping is a low priority process, it should not impact perfomance significatively.
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, We have around 6TB free space and we are using 300GB 15k disks. I am planning to ungroup 8 disks, so is it adviceable to ungroup 8 all at the same time or 1 disks at a time. It will take a lot of time if I do a single drive at time.

Thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would do only 1 disk at a time.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

OK thanks, looks like a very time consuming work.

Thanks