4332 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

failed disk drive EVA 4000)

KINGSLEY_1
Regular Advisor

failed disk drive EVA 4000)

Dear All,

We use EVA 4000 and one of the disk has failed completely.  Any help as to how to replace it and also care that must be taken in order not to loose data?

Thank you.

Kingsley

10 REPLIES 10
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Re: failed disk drive EVA 4000)

HI

First, If disk is broken, all data from that disk must be automatically created in other ones (only if you have any RAID. In case if you had RAID 0, you loose that vdisk).

The broken disk you must ungroup.

Then, when you received the new disk, you must group. Automatically it created the data into it.

Regards

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, 

it will probably already be ungrouped (actually when a disk fails 'completely' the EVA will start a reconstruct). 

You should make sure that you do not take out the disk while the reconstruct is going on. If the reconstruct does not complete you should have HP take a closer look at your logs to make sure nothing bad happens.

You can see this in the controller event log - and also on the disk itself in Command View.

Besides that it's about what Jorge wrote (I would add some stuff):

1. take out the disk
  2. put in the new one - upgrade firmware on the disk (a lot easier doing that before it's grouped) 
  3. make sure the disk works fine (like no loop errors etc, you can see this in the event log too, or just wait a while)
  4. then group the disk.
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, Detailed instructions available at Customer Self Repair section . Refer below link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01442487&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=3664763&prodTypeId=12169

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Or for a video you can look here:

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

Jianmin Tan_1
Advisor

Hi KINGSLEY,

1.Make sure that the reconstruction process had finished.(If the storage system begin the leveling operate that prove the reconstruction process had finished.)

2. Remove the broken hard disk and wait 1minute(disk replacement delay) then insert the new one.

3.Find the new hard disk in upgrouped disks then group it into the disk group which you want.

4.Make sure that the disk group begin new leveling operate.

5.Waiting for leveling finished.

Hope its useful to you. 

Best Regards & Thanks 

---------------------------------

Thanks & Best Regards
JM
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey Jianmin,

"2. Remove the broken hard disk and wait 1minute(disk replacement delay) then insert the new one."

Why do you propose to wait one minute? If the disk is reconstructed then there's no data on it so the disk won't start reconstructing after one minute (which is what the delay is about). 

Actually one thing that we could add to the list is to use the 'remove' button in Command View - this ungroups and puts on the UID light on the disk (which is what the locate button does).

Jianmin Tan_1
Advisor

Dear Johan,If the disk failed completely,the storage system will begein reconstruction operate.

After complete the reconstruction operate will begin leveling operate.So I think if it begin leveling operate that prove had complete the reconstruction operate and there have no data on the failed disk.Am I right?

So I can remove the failed disk.And I were told must wait 1 minute then insert the new disk by HP800. 

After that group the new disk into the disk group and the leveling operate will start again.

Thanks & Best Regards
JM
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You are probably right.
Personally I would wait until I see the 'reconstruction complete/success' in the event log.
Jianmin Tan_1
Advisor

Dear Johan,you are absolutely right.I will do it just like you at furthers working:)

Thanks & Best Regards
JM