New Discussion юеВ

how to shutdown EVA via UPS?

SOLVED
Go to solution
rustam_2
Super Advisor

how to shutdown EVA via UPS?

Hi everybody,
I configured my servers where runs OS Windows Server 2008 and gonna configure HP-UX server to go shut down when power failure and servers on battery mode. Right now, when power failure and servers on battery mode, OS' get notification from UPS' about power failure. I configured 20 min, if servers are working on battery mode during 20 min then they will shut down. OS closes all application and will shutdown himself.

The big problem with EVA, how and where to send power failure notification, to disk array or management? Command View was installed on controller so we dont have separate management server.

thanks and regards,
rustam
10 REPLIES 10
Prokopets
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: how to shutdown EVA via UPS?

rustam,
can you explain, what do you mean under "Command View was installed on controller"?

In theory, you can write a script using SSSU and run it in case of power failure (by UPS software agent, for example), but are you sure that OSes will shutdown before then EVA does? I mean, in fully automatic shutdown you'll have a probability of loosing connectivity with storage.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Create a SSSU script with:

SELECT MANAGER localhost USERNAME=administrator PASSWORD=administrator

SELECT CELL ""

SHUTDOWN ├в \Hardware\Rack 1\Enclosure 7\Controller A├в all_peers

Then configure the Windows server to run SSSU.EXE "file script.txt" (including the quotes) when you want to shutdown the EVA.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The problem is, if the server goes down and it executes such a shutdown script, what happens if you do a "normal" shutdown of this server?

Does it stop the EVA too???

But if all servers are down, the cache is flushed, so the EVA has no unwritten data in cache - there is IMHO no need to shutdown the EVA. Just let the power go away.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Of course the SSSU script has to be executed from a server that has no LUNs presented from the EVA. First power down all servers that depend on the EVA, then the EVA.
rustam_2
Super Advisor

Hi Phillip, vcespon and Torsten

Phillpi,
>> can you explain, what do you mean under "Command View was installed on controller"?
Um├в ┬ж I wanted to say Management soft. As I read before I can install this soft on controller or on separate PC.

>> are you sure that OSes will shutdown before then EVA does?
No, I├в m not sure. But I think I can configure to shutdown OSes before EVA. For example if they are running on battery mode for 10 min then they will start to go shutdown and during this actions SSSU script must be run.

>> I mean, in fully automatic shutdown you'll have a probability of loosing connectivity with storage. ├в could you be a lil bit clear in ur opinion, I didn├в t get.

vcespon,
Should I create the simple script, something like *.bat or *.cmd or this one is completely different?

>> SELECT CELL ""
What is it cell?

>> SHUTDOWN ├Г┬в├В ├В \Hardware\Rack 1\Enclosure 7\Controller A├Г┬в├В ├В all_peers
I cant see whole symbols here, could you type it again?

>> Then configure the Windows server to run SSSU.EXE "file script.txt"
Um├в ┬ж. So SSSU is software, I├в m thinking where to install this soft. On my PC, on server or ├в ┬ж

Regards,
rustam
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

>So SSSU is software, I├Г┬в├В ├В m thinking where to install this soft. On my PC, on server or ├Г┬в├В ├В┬ж

rustam, it depends on your EVA. If it has out-of-band mgmt module (EVA4400) - it's ok. In other cases command view should be installed on a server with SAN connectivity.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Answering your questions above:

You have to create a txt with the commands for SSSU. Then create a .BAT that runs SSSU.EXE "file sssu_script.txt", including the quotes.

SELECT CELL ""

"" = name of the EVA as it appears on Command View

The strange characters are the result of copying from a PDF file. It's:

SHUTDOWN "\Hardware\Rack 1\Enclosure 7\Controller A" all_peers
Kites BM
Regular Advisor

>>>>
The strange characters are the result of copying from a PDF file.

vcespon: can you pls attach that pdf file?
It helps rustam and people like me too.

Thanks.
Kites BM
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Hi, it's just the SSSU user guide:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02010693/c02010693.pdf

It comes as an example for SHUTDOWN command