1748167 Members
4005 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

webtools zoning

ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

webtools zoning

On a AE370A, 4GB San Switch, on our c7000 blade enclosure.
We have the switch going to a MSA2012fc storage unit with two enclosures,the main and a second one.
Our blade servers have many virtual machines on the main MSA enclosure and we want to add a Compaq Proliant box to the mix. Connecting it to the same fibre channel switch BUT only giving it access to the second MSA enclosure.

I went into Webtools and accessed the switch. Putting in all the information required for zoning. My Question is: The application, at the end of the configuration, ask if I wanted to activate the configuration of the new zone.
IF I activate the new zone will my virtual machines for my blade servers cease to work?
The blade machines are NOT zoned at all
Ross Hanson
2 REPLIES 2
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Re: webtools zoning

From my point you need to connect a Proliant Server to existing SAN right (MSA as Target),

When you zone the Proliant, its going to communicate to the MSA. So you need to Activate the New Zone.

---------------------------------------------
Zone Configurations
A zone configuration is a set of zones. Zoning may be disabled at any time. When a zone
configuration is in effect, all zones that are members of that configuration are in effect.
The set of zone configurations defined in a Fabric may not be the same as the configuration that
is currently in effect. This may also not be the same as the configurations saved in the switch├в s
flash memory. The following three terms are used to differentiate between these
├в configurations├в :
├в ┬в Defined Configuration: The ├в defined configuration├в is the complete set of all zone
objects that have been defined in the fabric.
├в ┬в Effective Configuration: The ├в effective configuration├в is a single zone configuration
that is currently in effect. The ├в effective configuration├в is built when an administrator
enables a specified zone configuration. This configuration is ├в compiled├в by checking for
undefined zone names, or zone alias names, or other issues.
├в ┬в Saved Configuration: The ├в saved configuration├в is a copy of the ├в defined
configuration├в plus the name of the ├в effective configuration├в which is saved in flash
memory by the ├в cfgSave├в command. There may be differences between the ├в saved
configuration├в and the ├в defined configuration├в if the system administrator has modified
any of the zone definitions and has not saved the configuration.

---------------------------------------------
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: webtools zoning

Ross:

Assuming that your virtual machines are getting their storage from a host server (the physical box), than 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. If there is NO zoning, and you add a new zone... then anything that was working will not NOT work if you do not have a zone for it.

or

2. If there IS zoning already im place, then adding a new zone will simply allow the new server to communicate with the storage array, NOT affecting existing communications.

Now... you say there is NO zoning. My suggestion is that you create zones for each of the blades that need to talk to the msa. 1 zone for each blade. Do not create 1 zone and populate it with all of your blades. You can eventually run into issues later on in life.

Brocade switches, by default, allow ALL devices connected to talk to each other if there is no zoning.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)