1748232 Members
3478 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Excessive broadcast errors

latchum
Advisor

Excessive broadcast errors

I am getting the lot of excessive broadcast error on some ports in one of my 2626 switch, what could be the problem and how it will cause to production.

We are getting complaints about slow access from some users who connected these switches, can this cause to this problem?

Regards,
Naidu.
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Excessive broadcast errors

Maybe there's a faulty nic somewhere in your environment.. The ports you are seeing them on, do they have something in common? Like the same vlan/subnet or so?

Broadcasts can definately cause a slowdown.
latchum
Advisor

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your response.

Ok, may be some user PC have bad NIC as we are getting these alerts on particular ports, in that way we can get which user PC have bad NIC if your advice correct, am i right?
But the same environment was running from past 2 yrs.

There is no any VLAN all are in same subnet.

Thanks in advance, please help me as the location is the HW for our business and users complaining like anything.

Regards,
Naidu.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

There are two ways you can do this:

1) disconnect one segment at a time from the switch until the runaway broadcasts disappear.

2) configure a mirror port on your switch and connect a sniffer to it to identify the MAC that is excessively broadcasting.
latchum
Advisor

Hi,

Disconnect of end user PC may not be possible as they are very busy to get their daily job done.

The one you suggest "mirror port and sniffer connect to identify the MAC i.e., excessively broadcasting. Can you please give me the step by step for port mirror as I am new to HP environment.
And which is the good sniffer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Naidu.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You're already losing productivity because of broadcast errors -- you have to balance that out against taking the time to find the machine causing the issue.

In terms of setting up a mirror port on a Procurve -- I've never done it (I work with Ciscos and Extremes exclusively), but I think the following URL seems to have a decent setup routine:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1223233&page=6

As for a sniffer, download a copy of WireShark.