1745783 Members
3719 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Promiscuous mode on NC7782

Vanessa_14
Advisor

Promiscuous mode on NC7782

Hi, I have a network card needed to use Promiscuous mode.

HP told me:
Promiscuous mode is supported by all HP Intel based NIC’s, is it activated by an API Hook in.
If a programs needs to use promiscuous mode (for example) a network analyzer it will be able to activate it.

Is their a way to activate it?, Anyone Experience?
I have a content filter that needs NIC's to be places in Promiscuous mode...

Anyone an advice?

Many thanks !
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

Re: Promiscuous mode on NC7782

Vanessa,
I beleive it is the applications use of the MDI ioctl and DLPI hooks that will trigger promiscuous on/off as long as the card driver supports it (and I beleiev you said that that it does?). The driver support would be dependant on your OS

In other words it's the application that turns it on/off and not the driver. The driver just enables/disables the ability to turn it on/off.

I would say look to the application that is using the content filters you mention...
-Jeff
Frank Benke_1
Advisor

afaik

all windows network drivers and most of the linux ones support the promicios mode to be set. this "pass through" is used and therefore activated by the application.

there are two possible flaws. the network security guys scan the network for nics in promicious mode and automatically limit/block the network ports you are connected to or some management action on your local system (pc ?) disables the applications to use promicious mode. this could be controlled via snmp without you attention when you have a centrally managed environment.
Bilhan
Advisor

Hi,
I try to install websense 6.2 with network agent. But it says that network adapter card does not support Promiscuous mode. As HP telling that it does support.

Environment is;
Windows 2003 Ent. SP1 x64
HP DL380 G4 AMD x64
NC 7782 with 9.25.0.0 driver

So what could be wrong? Vanessa, did you also found solution?
Thanks in advance.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Maybe try another application that uses promiscuous mode such as Ethereal to verify if it is the driver or the application causing a problem - http://www.ethereal.com/