5644 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN 1

Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

VLAN 1

Usually VLAN 1 is used for management.
Using Procurve 2524, I can regularly configure a port to carry tagged traffic for this VLAN but, using 9304 routing-switch, I cannot.

Do I need to define another VLAN for management?
5 REPLIES 5
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

If you use VLAN 1 for management, you have no need to tag the ports. You must tag the ports only if you want the link to carry information of more than one VLAN. There's no tagged traffic for VLAN if you have no tagged port for the VLAN.

In 93XX you can tag ports as well, the command sequence to tag 1st port of 1st module would be

enable
con t
vlan 1
tagged e 1/1
write mem

HTH,
Arimo
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

I have a bunch of stacked 2524 switches for any floor of my building.
Every stack is connected by two redundant links to a couple of 9304 routing-switches.
The two links carry tagged traffic for all VLANs defined on 2524s.
If I leave VLAN1 as management VLAN on all 2524s, uplinks to 9304s need to carry traffic for this VLAN too. Or not?

Then, the sequence:

enable
con t
vlan 1
tagged e 1/1

doesn't work; I cannot use 'tagged ...' under 'vlan 1' config.

Can I redefine VLAN ID for DEFAULT_VLAN and create a new VLAN1 compatble with 2524s?

I attached a diagram of the network.
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

DEFAULT_VLAN (1) cannot be removed. It can be renamed or you can choose another VLAN as management but the switch always need at least one VLAN, hence it is unremovable.

To your problem, I don't know why you can't tag ports in VLAN1 (no experience) but create another VLAN and make it management and use it instead.

/Marcus
Arnaud_9
Valued Contributor

Routing Switch 93xx needs a default VLAN that cannot be tagged on any port.
By default, this is VLAN ID 1.
You can change this default VLAN ID in the CLI :
93xx(config)#default-vlan-id {unsed Vlan ID}

Note that you may have to reload the switch.
Then, you will be able to tag ports in the Vlan 1.

For more informations, you can look at :
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59903041_ch07.pdf
(7-4 and 7-13)

AP
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Depending on the Firmware you are running on the 9304 you can use a new feature called "dual mode" to have a port untagged in VL1 and tagged in others. This would imply that you change the config on the 2524 to all VL tagged exept VL1. This way you will be able to use the default VL on the 9304 as it is.

Andreas
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......