1748123 Members
3262 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "tftp: SEND error:1, msg: File not found" Message in Procurve 5308xl Log

Gauler
Occasional Advisor

No I have not solved the Problem yet, not enough time to work on it at this time, maybe later, I have used a portscanner to locate the tftp server in the network but the switch is a router and i will not scan every network becaue I need a pc in every network...
Any Ideas to find the pc faster?
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi

You can also set one of the switch ports to act as a monitor port and connect a sniffer PC directly there. Then all traffic passing to and from the ports you want to monitor will be duplicated to the monitor port. You can monitor one port at a time or several at the same time. Then you should be able to find the right direction.

Anyhow, as the switch won't send anything anyway (the only thing it has to send is the OS), this is fortunately more like a nuisance than anything else.

Arimo
bernard goehrs
Advisor

Hi,

We had the same problem some time age; a log file full of those tftp error messages.
Even it looks like an tftp problem, it was an SNMP Problem caused by the SNMP service running on an WinNT Box. We stopped that service and .. fixed.

Bernard

Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Bernard.

That's very interesting. Could you give more details on the environment, like windows version and service pack, switch software and the like?

Thanks,
Arimo
Ernst, Manfred
Occasional Contributor

I found the source in our network which causes tftp traffic. It is an ELSA LANCOM ISDN Router. Every time you boot the router or start the lan capi service on a NT/2000-machine a broadcast tftp request (destination 255.255.255.255) is sent to get a file named sysinfo. This is the message that cause our switches to create the log entry.

So far so good. But now I am searching for a solution to disable these tftp requests on the ELSA lancom routers, until now without success. Background is that I activated snmp-traps on the switches and now I get a warning every time when these tftp packets are sent.

Is there anybody who can help me?

Manfred Ernst

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You would think that once configured (and after the configuration was saved) the router would not need to go looking for a file.

Your NT/2000 boxes should also be configured. There is a configuration manager that they say should be installed. Did you install it?

I'd ask the manufacturer:

http://www2.elsa.de/internet/onlineassistent.nsf/search-keyword?OpenAgent&language=de&ProductName=ELSA+LANCOM+ADSL/ISDN&keyw=A1-ROUTER-7&escalation=0&ProdSearch=1

Click on: Bitte schildern Sie uns das Problem.

I tried but they want the serial number etc. of your product which I don't have.

Ron
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Chris.
If you installed and used HP TopTools on some workstation, then beware that this product has a tftp server. Maybe you started this tftp server from TopTools, without intent (I did just that, and now my portscanner sees tftp server on port 69).
Rikz

hmm Ok the last reply is 10 years ago but for all admins with the same msg in the log:

Have a look to your Virusscanner / System detector when you don┬┤t have an tftp server in your network.
I had the same problem in my network and find out that this msg generated after the McAfee Rogou System Detection looking for unknown devices.

You need to reconfigure the RSD in McAfee ePO.

BR
Rik