5314 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2910 SNMP notification additional notifications

dchiang
Occasional Advisor

2910 SNMP notification additional notifications

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to configure a bunch of 2910's to send SNMP traps to a preconfigured host when a certain event happens. Specifically if a port sits at XX% utliziation for a certain amount of time or longer. However the Configuring for Network Management Applications manual dosen't specify anything anywhere on how to do it. It does mention that it can configure other things to send SNMP notifications but a bunch of those sections don't exist. Can someone point me in the right direction to get this resolved? 

Thanks

PS. you know the documentation is super great when it reads snmp-server host 10.28.227.130 red-team critical instead of snmp-server host 10.28.227.130 community red-team trap-level :P

5 REPLIES 5
ISoliman
Super Advisor

IF the switch doesn't support the traps you want then that is it, the traps are programmed you cannot add or program new traps.

dchiang
Occasional Advisor

Ok, that's good to know, however I do know that it does support additonal traps for a few other things and I've been digging thru the manuals and I've been having some trouble finding it, do you know if there is a list with all of the SNMP traps that the switch has? 

As for port traffic monitoring I suppose I would have to go with external software monitoring, any recommendations? I know there is HP Procurve Network Manager, but I've had some trouble trying to find the free one. 

ISoliman
Super Advisor

Check the Management and Cofigruation guide :

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02564351/c02564351.pdf

Trap Receivers
Link-Change Traps Enabled on Ports [All] : All
Trap Category Current Trap Configuration
------------------------------ -------------------------
- SNMP Authentication extended
Password change enabled
Network security
Login failures enablednotification
Port-Security enabledsettings
Authorization Server Contact enabled
ARP Protection enabled
DHCP Snooping enabled

dchiang
Occasional Advisor

I've seen those already and they are by default enabled on the switch, but I've already dug thru the manual and on the bottom of page 14-17 it says:

In addition, you can enable the switch to send the following types of notifications to configured trap receivers. For information on how to configure each notification, refer to the ProCurve software guide under which the notification is listed.

And then it lists a bunch of topics in various manuals where they can be configured, however when I go and look into the other manuals they make either vauge one line references to SNMP or no references at all. 

ISoliman
Super Advisor

Which Traps are you looking for ? I didn't check the mentioned manuals but I have another way to check the commands for the traps, check the CLI guide for K.15 and search for the word "trap" it will give you all the commands that include the word "trap" and you will find how to enable it for the supported ones