Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748033 Members
4901 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can a Procurve 1800-24G handle 3 VLANs???

SOLVED
Go to solution
sierradump
Occasional Advisor

Can a Procurve 1800-24G handle 3 VLANs???

I want to test ESX in a webserver environment, and I just need a switch to complete my setup... I want to segregate my network segments so that web traffic can't make its way to the LAN or iSCSI segments...

Basically I will have 3 segments (VLANs?):

1.) (Management) LAN: ESX host machines, Licensing Servers, Management Servers, ETC...

2.) iSCSI SAN Traffic (Jumbo Frames/Flow Control)

3.) DMZ: Used for virtual machines; internet accessible.

Can I accomplish this using 1 HP 1800-24G switch using VLANs? If so how exactly would I set up the switch???

Attached is a map of the network I want to create.
7 REPLIES 7
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The simple answer is yes.

Since your using a separate NIC for each VLAN, all you need to do is add two VLANs to the switch and assign each VLAN to the corresponding port.

I assume your router has more than one interface (one for the DMZ and one for the management interface)?

This is a very basic setup, essentially three disjoint networks running over the switch...
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
sierradump
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I have 3 NICS in the Firewall, WAN, LAN, DMZ. I also have 3 NICS in Ea Server.

I am curious about Jumbo Frames.

I have been instructed to use FLOW CONTROL AND JUMBO FRAMES on my iSCSI VLAN...

I browsed the 1800-24G manual today and it looks like it is a GLOBAL option? If I were to enable JUMBO FRAMES, and then have 3 VLANS, would the management and DMZ VLANS suffer in performance since I would NOT have the NICS on those networks Jumbo Frame Enabled?

DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

It's such a small network, you shouldn't see a performance problem. Flow Control only allows the hosts to send pause/resume frames to better deal with congestion at the NIC. Since you have fully disjoint networks, just be sure you have jumbos and FC enabled on all hosts on their respective segments.
sierradump
Occasional Advisor

From browsing the manual I noticed that Jumbo Frames seems to be a global setting, i.e. if its checked, ALL ports are enabled...

Since I only need Jumbo Frames enabled on the iSCSI segment, can ports still run at standard frame size if Jumbo Frames is enabled?

i.e. the management and DMZ networks will NOT have jumbo frames enabled on host machine NICs...
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

That's no problem. Enabling jumbo frames means you're /allowing/ frames larger than 1500 bytes. Not that you're mandating it.
sierradump
Occasional Advisor

Great! So it looks like I am going to be able to use this one switch to accomplish everything I need it to do!

Great news. I really like HP business/enterprise products. I have had good success with our old 10/100 Procurve switches; never any problems.

VLANs are new to me so hopefully you all can help me get everything setup when my switch shows up this week!
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

If you run into problems, download your config from your switch and post it. Worst case, I can modify your config and re-post it.