1751765 Members
4660 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cisco IOS error

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Cisco IOS error

I'm having troubles upgrading my Cisco 3020 switches. Currently my switches show their firmware to be:
cbs30x0-lanbase-mz.122-37.SE1

So I've downloaded the slightly newer firmware off HP's site:
cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar

I'm connecting to the switch via a usb->serial connector. When I enter the command to download and install the new .tar file:
archive download-sw /safe ftp://152.37.41.166/cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar

I receive the following output:
Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads
examining image...
%Error opening ftp://152.37.41.166/cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar (Timed out)
%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)
ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

I've already upgraded brocades on our network using this very same ftp, there should be no connection problems with it. I've run the md5 against the package downloaded from HP, and it matches perfectly.

This is an inheritted lab, so the ins and out of what's been set up how and why are still being found out.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

-Aaron
3 REPLIES 3
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Re: Cisco IOS error

Is it a matter of I just have to force the firmware? I cannot find any documents stating that the cbs30x0-lanbase-mz.122-37.SE1 firmware is eventually replaced / upgraded by the cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>>I'm connecting to the switch via a usb->serial connector<<<

so you'r connected to the serial console?

>> archive download-sw /safe ftp://152.37.41.166/cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar <<<

- have you done any other thests to verify the switch can connect to the ftp server?
e.g. can it ping the ftp server?
- is there enough space in flash to hold the new image?

- are you sure you need ftp and not tftp ?
from :http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=2510334&swItem=MTX-15942e70ae2746dbbbcc0c56de&prodNameId=2510335&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1 :
Place the firmware image file (*.tar) on a TFTP server that is network-accessible from the switch you wish to update.
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

>>>so you'r connected to the serial console?<<<

Yes, I'm connecting through the serial console. The Cisco devices arn't set up to be accesible for managing any other way.

>>>have you done any other thests to verify the switch can connect to the ftp server? e.g. can it ping the ftp server?<<<

Good point. No I hadn't. All the pings fail, regardless if they're tageted to IPs or DNS names. Presumably as the device only has the serial port connected, and I believe the fiber is set solely for connecting to our SAN storage.

>>>is there enough space in flash to hold the new image?<<<

Yes, of the roughly 30,000,000bytes of space on the Cisco device, around 20,000,000bytes are still free, and the new firmware (cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar) is only around 10,000,000bytes.

>>>are you sure you need ftp and not tftp ?
Place the firmware image file (*.tar) on a TFTP server that is network-accessible from the switch you wish to update.<<<

I was just referencing the user manual, which includes directions for upgrading over ftp. The lack of network connectivity makes the problem rather definitive.

-----

How would I get the updated file onto the Cisco device essentially by the only means available of the serial connection? That's the one thing I can't seem to find in the user guide.

Otherwise I presume I'll have to start configuring the device to have network connectivity, upgrade it, then revert everything back to however it's currently configured.

I've tried using the ' Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch (CCBS) 3020 for HP Management Utilities for Windows ', and the ' HP BladeSystem Integrated Manager for Windows ' The HP management utility for windows doesn't seem to add any management functionality to the Ciscos after running MIBs_to_SIM.bat. (Unless I'm doing something wrong) And ' The HP management utility for windows ' says that it cannot detect HP SIM later than 5.2.1 on the system... but this is a fresh install of the newest release of HPSIM and identifies it's self as version 05.02.02.00 build date: 2008-07-04 10:23.