Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748259 Members
3900 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Port Aggregation between 4108gl and Intel Server

Peter Steinberger

Port Aggregation between 4108gl and Intel Server

My Intel Server allows the aggregation of the two nic´s onboard to one IP-Adress to double the bandwith. Do i have to build a trunk port on my 4108gl to enable this aggregation?
4 REPLIES 4
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Re: Port Aggregation between 4108gl and Intel Server

Hi,

If the server supports FEC (Fast EtherChannel) the 4108gl support this trunking aswell.

The command is

trunk PORT-LIST fec

Where there is a will there is a way...
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

If you are not sure what aggregation method is used on the Intel Server side you can use any static method, e.g. HP trunking on the 4108gl side.
The command is similar to one specified by Jonathan above:
trunk ...(you specify ports and trunking method)

BR,
Dmitry
Peter Steinberger

Thanks for your answers, they show me, that my problems are on the server side. I can only build a "express team" with my intel driver under server2000, but i can´t specify the parameters for this team. Perhaps there exists a special "team driver" for the intel 1000 MT nic´s on mainboard SE7501HG2. The "express team" with the original driver works only with "normal" ports of the 4108gl, but not with a trunk port.
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Hi Peter !

If You use teaming on Intel side you can use static trunking on 4108gl side.
Please do not confuse the term port trunk with the Cisco trunk (actually VLAN trunk).
Trunking of ports on HP ProCurve devices is the same as teaming LAN cards on Intel side.
In fact port trunk is aggregation (teaming) of switch ports into one logical port. This logical port should be made a member of VLAN, to which your server belongs. For example:

trunk 1,3,5,7 Trk1 lacp (teaming using any static method available)
vlan 77 untagged Trk1 (making the logical port Trk1 the member of VLAN 99; untagged means that the port will receive/transmit standard ethernet frames without 802.1q tag)

Good luck,
Dmitry

BR,
Dmitry