1753965 Members
7396 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 1800-8G won't let me change VLAN settings anymore

Kai_Krebber

Procurve 1800-8G won't let me change VLAN settings anymore

Hi!

I configured an 1800-8G yesterday for VLAN usage (port 8 as tagged only for two VLANS 10 & 25, port 7 untagged in VLAN 10 the rest untagged in VLAN25).

Works fine - only when I now click on the 'VLAN Port Config', the switch doesn't show me the ports to configure anymore. see attached screenshot.

As you can see - no ports to configure anymore. No radio buttons, no checkboxes, no drop-down-lists.

Same picture from Windows IE and from Firefox. Worked fine yesterday....

I tried rebooting the switch, I tried updating to the latest firmware - picture stays the same.

How am I supposed to reconfigure my ports regarding VLANS now?

BTW: VLAN-Setup-page works normal - I can add and delete VLANs as such.

3 REPLIES 3
Kai_Krebber

Never mind - I reloaded the same config again and now the page is OK again.

I just think, this is a very sad way to 'heal' a switch. Uploading the (same) config reboots the switch - in a production environment a bad idea. I'll switch to Juniper. Here you can load a new config without any impact on the network.

Cheers,

Kai

tschaps
Valued Contributor

I understand your frustration, but please realize that the 1800-8G is an out-of-date, entry-level, web-managed switch which was sold from about 2002-2009. It does not compare to Juniper (do they even make an 8 port switch?), and you should NOT be using such a switch in a production environment anyway. It was intended to be a desktop switch. In any case, it would be nice if the web interface were better on these low-end switches, since you cannot access them via console or telnet. I have a bunch of newer 1810-8G's and 1810-24G's which work pretty well, but I don't trust them to do any heavy lifting.

Mach's gut--

T

MelBeckman
Occasional Advisor

HP has two similar switches, the 1810G-8 (J9449A) and the 1810-8G (J9802A). The 1810G-8 DOES NOT support spanning-tree protocol (STP), which is critical for safe operation of the switch in a multi-switch environment, while the almost identically priced 1810-G8 does . I accidentally ordered ten of the bad bad bad 1810G-8 switches and put them into a network and chaos ensued. Why HP sells the non-STP switch is beyond me, especially given the confusingly similar product names. Worse, the documentation does not make any distinction between the two switch models, giving the impression that they both support STP. HP, PLEASE STOP THIS IDIOCY AND REMOVE THE BAD SWITCHES FROM THE CHANNEL!