108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP Write Community, No Access

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Pringle
Occasional Contributor

SNMP Write Community, No Access

I am having a problem obtaining traffic statistics through PCM+. I have a mix of 5412, 2910 and 2810 switches and I am finding that I can only maintain SNMP write access for a couple of days before it goes to No Access in the test communications parameters in PCM page.

If I remove all the SNMP setings and re-apply them I get restricted access and the traffic monitor starts again. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
4 REPLIES 4
James Pringle
Occasional Contributor

I have the following settings for SNMP:

snmp-server community "XXXXX" Operator
snmp-server community "xxxxx" Operator Unrestricted
snmp-server host 172.16.2.23 "XXXXX"
snmp-server host 172.16.2.23 "xxxxx"

Should I be using Manager instead of Operator?
ICCNETMGR
Solution

The following syntax is for entering he SNMP settings for these devices with the latest firmware versions.

snmp-server community "write" manager unrestricted
snmp-server community "read" operator restricted
snmp-server host 10.10.10.10 community "public"
snmp-server location "DATA CLOSET"
snmp-server contact "Network Manager"

When importing a configuration template from a previously saved configuration, the "manager" option is not applied on the "write" line and therefore you get restricted access through PCM.
HP needs to fix the stored configuration so that it matches the appropriate command-line syntax, but we have just dealt with it for now.

If this does not resolve your issue, then let me know and I will do some further troubleshooting and testing.
Regards,
Dan Robinson
James Pringle
Occasional Contributor

I have applied the SNMP settings again, I will check in a couple of days and see if I still have access via SNMP.
James Pringle
Occasional Contributor

The switches have been up for a week and I can still see the traffic monitor and have SNMP write access. The problem seems to be related to pasting in the config. It looks like you are unable to set manager for unrestricted access until a password has been set so it defaults to operator.