108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setup advice on Procurve 2650

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trogan

Setup advice on Procurve 2650

Hi,

I will be setting up a switch for the first time and would just like to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

I will configure a new router first and make sure it is working correctly. I will then connect the router to the switch using an RJ-45 cable. Would that be correct?

If so, I was then hoping to get the IP address for the switch to access the web interface.

Any advise would be welcomed!

5 REPLIES 5
Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor
Solution

The switch is set for DHCP, so it will get an address from your DHCP server. You should be able to match the MAC address printed on the switch with the MAC address in your DHCP server to see what address it got. You can then browse to that IP address and make whatever changed; otherwise, you can connect up the serial console cable and manually set it in the config. You can run the "setup" command from the prompt which will take you to a basic config setup menu where you can change from DHCP to manual and set a static IP address. You can also set the gateway address which, in your scenario, would be the new router.

This switch is capable of lite Layer 3 routing (I believe up to 16 routes) and can of course do VLANs if you need them.
Trogan

Thanks Cajuntank MS for the reply.

We will not be running a server. We are planning just for the switch to feed internet connection to the computers through the patch panels within the building. Is that clear?

So, I may need to run the "setup" command and configure a static IP and set the default gateway to that of the router.

Thanks for the advice!
Trogan

Hi,

I have another question if you can help me with.

I will be needing to add another switch. Currently, we have a 48-port Procurve 2650 and need to add another 12 or 24-port switch.

Is it recommended to get a Procurve 2650 or can I get any other switch? What would be easier in terms of configuration?

Thanks,
Birthwell
Occasional Advisor

For ROI purposes and longer support life, i would suggest you purchase any latest switch to use with the 2650. There is nothing wrong though with either choice you go with. Just giving my advice.

Hope this helps
Trogan

Hi,

What does ROI refer to?