6689 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trunk groups

Bj├╢rn Gam
Occasional Advisor

Trunk groups

Hello,

can someone give me a hint: We have a Storage VLAN and we are useing different trunk groups to getting a redundant access to that VLAN. But now we are running out of Trunk-Group space so, is it smarter to use only one trunk group for one VLAN?

Our current setting:
VLAN 10
G1
G2
G3
TRK1 (G4/G5)
TRK2 (G5/G6)
TRK2 (G7/G8)

The future settings:
VLAN 10
G1
G2
G3
TRK1 (G4...G8)

Thanks,
Bjoern
2 REPLIES 2
Andr├й Beck
Honored Contributor

Re: Trunk groups

Bj├Г┬╢rn,

if your three trunks actually all interconnect the same two switches, of course you want to turn them into one trunk with more ports, Else only one of the three trunks would be active for traffic, the others would be blocked by STP.

If the trunks lead to different switches though, you cannot combine them. So what you can do depends on your topology.

BTW, G5 appears twice in your list, that's impossible.

BTW^2, VLANs are something that exists on a higher (sub)layer than trunks, so the two things are not related. From the VLAN's view, a trunk is just another physical link on which it could be switched (either tagged or untagged). So the VLAN is actually mostly irrelevant here.

HTH,
Andre.
Bj├╢rn Gam
Occasional Advisor

Re: Trunk groups

Hello Andre,

thanks for your support. I don't have any idea why this consultant suggest us to use the different trunk-groups.

The other thing: We want to use one or two ports to monitor some settings at our LAN. How can I access every untagged VLAN? I believe the special port has to be tagged member of every VLAN and untagged for the default VLAN.

Thanks,
Bjoern