New Discussion юеВ

Re: 11 to 11i upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

11 to 11i upgrade

Hi all and merry xmas!!

I have a task in the new year to upgrade our remaining 11.00 servers (which are running perfectly well....so why should we have to upgrade) to version 11i so we get support. We are quite fortunate in that the majority of our root disks are 36GB. I have been reviewing the upgrade document and it talks about filesystem sizing requirements. It for example suggests we need 4.5GB allocated to /var yet only 2% will be used!!! This seems ludicrous. More worrying it states /stand needs to be 304MB and yet only 20% is used. I'm sure we are all aware of the problems with extending /stand. Will the update program fail if the sizes are not as they state? Why for example could I not have /stand at a size of 80MB with 60MB utilised?? Any advicew would be good.
8 REPLIES 8
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Adam!

My recommendation is to go with the recommendation from HP, usually those are based on experince and it kind of fits into every environment.

For example one of my test machines, almost nothing extra installed got this on /var:

/dev/vg00/lvol8 5242880 2662672 2562440 51% /var

As you can see it's 51% used.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Adam:

My advice would be not to upgrade, but rather to cold-install. Cold installation allows you to set the logical volume sizes you will need. Too, you begin with a clean patch base.

If you have (and I hope you do) mirrored boot disks, you can install on one keeping the other as a fail-back.

A 36GB disk for 11i is a good size to have. FOr instance, as the repository of the Installed Patch Database, '/var' needs ample room as you patch your system. Disk is cheap, and having extra unused space in vg00 filesystems isn't mis-management. An upgrade (as opposed to a cold-install) will need additional space in the vg00 filesystems. Too, 11i releases offer many more products you can add compared to 11.0 ones. You won't regret having larger filesystems.

Regards!

...JRF...

Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

Our team manages 100 HP-UX systems in Jerusalem and advices on a bunch more overseas. We never, ever use upgrade-ux.

The reliability record of this upgrade is abysmal. Cold installation is the only way to pull off an upgrade.

The best way to upgrade is to if not with new hardware, then get one more machine from inventory or new to rotate around to handle the work of the machine that is being cold installed, then installed with applications.

Also, right after that 11i install, do the Bundle, HWE, and Semi-annual patch set.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adem,

I performed several upgrades to 11i and after failing twice we did the remaining servers an cold instal it's better and cleaner.
Just make sure you install the OS on 1 disk and keep the alt disk seperate. So if you have to fall back it's easy.

grtz. Mark
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Whether you upgrade or cold install, the suggested sizes are not really worth skimping on. For /stand it's true that only 20% will normally be utilized, but how about when you build a new kernel? You need to have room.

As far /var is concerned, I keep a minimum of 3GB allocated. This allows for enough room for growth of logs, patches, etc., etc.

Since you have (mostly) 36GB root disks, I would go ahead and follow the sizing advice HP is giving you. It can't hurt to have room for growth and it can certainly waylay your upgrade plans if you run out of room.

Pete

Pete
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

thanks all much appreciated. I guess it looks like a cold install is my best solution.
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The change for /stand is required. You can't use your current usage in /stand as a guide because 11i (I am assuming 11iv1, not 11iv2, also known as 11.23) has a lot different kernel structure and /stand will not have exactly the same files as your 11.00 system. 200 megs is probably OK for small systems but 300 is quite safe.

/var recommendation is based on general usage where email, printer spooling, patches, large logfiles, performance logs, etc are fairly large. Remember that if /var is full, almost *EVERYTHING* on your system will have problems. /var also has /var/tmp which can be abused by anyone on your system. Now if you manage /var by separating potential runaway directories with separate mountpoints, have a 500 meg /var with separate /var/mail, /var/adm, /var/spool, and /var/tmp makes a lot of sense.

But as many others have advised, upgrades have had a 99% failure rate for the last 10+ years. Most upgrades seem desirable because the 'rest of the software' doesn't need to be installed and configured. But in general, that isn't true. Your current applications and/or database engines may need a newer version installed in order to work. Many HP products such as mirroring, Online JFS, compilers, etc will need new versions (and codewords) to be compatible. And there are all those "wish we had time to fix" problems with disk layouts, mountpoints, etc.

So toss the upgrade documents and plan for a cold install, ideally on a test system so you can install everything including the new application versions and test offline before going into production. This is not much different in the PC world -- upgrades are seldom successful in WinNT, Win2k, WinXP and now Vista.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin