4373 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2007 and 2008 qpk in one hpux server

Noble Sebastian
Frequent Advisor

2007 and 2008 qpk in one hpux server

Dear Friends ,

I have installed 2008 qpk in my hpux11.23 , but still showing 2007 qpk also in server .

why 2007 not yet removed ,how i can remove tis .. server in producation .. can help me ...

swlist | grep -i qpk

QPKAPPS B.11.23.0812.076 Applications Patches for HP-UX 11i v2, December 2008
QPKAPPS B.11.23.0706.064 Applications Quality Pack Bundle for HP-UX 11i v2, June 2007
QPKBASE B.11.23.0706.064 Base Quality Pack Bundle for HP-UX 11i v2, June 2007
QPKBASE B.11.23.0812.076 Base Quality Pack Bundle for HP-UX 11i v2, December 2008
9 REPLIES 9
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi Noble Sebastian,

I would suggest you to install DRD and clone your root disk and try to remove 2007 june QPK from the clone disk.

Take latest Ignite also.

May I know what procedure did you use for installing the 2008 QPK?

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Noble Sebastian
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Sooraj ,

i installed , normal installtion only .. installed 6 servers , only this facing issue two servers only ...
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are these two nodes which is giving error running serviceguard A.11.15 or A.11.16?

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Noble Sebastian
Frequent Advisor

These two nodes running with A.11.17.00 , but this is 3 node cluster , one node successfuly updated qpk pathes 2007 to 2008

Other two nodes showing 2007 and 2008 qpk , why 2007 qpk not removed after install 2008 qpk .

Regards
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The QPK is a "bundle", i.e. a container for individual patch filesets. (Actually two bundles in 11.23 and later.)

The bundle will vanish from the swlist only when *all* of the bundle's patches have been superseded.

Apparently the June 2007 QPK contained some patches that did not need a further update in December 2008 QPK. Those patches were of course included in December 2008 QPK too, but the installation procedure skipped them as it correctly detected that they were already installed.

If you could remove the June 2007 bundle without removing the patches within it, you would get a large number of PHxx_nnnnn identifiers in the "Products not contained in any Bundle" part of the swinstall listing. I think that would be much uglier than an extra QPK line or two.

The extra QPK lines may even be useful sometimes as information on the machine's patch history. In effect, it says "before the installation of December 2008 QPK, this machine was at the June 2007 QPK level".

The extra lines will cause no harm and you should not attempt to remove them.

MK
MK
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

Great answer Matti!

I would add that installing patch bundles is intended to be easy, but removing patch bundles can be done incorrectly in a number of ways. Make sure that you keep recovery options available.

If a wrapper is a problem the wrapper can be removed while leaving the contents. I have never tried this with ambiguous specs, but I believe that:

# swremove QPKAPPS.,r=B.11.23.0706.064

will work. The key is that the "." at the end of the bundle name means wrapper only. If you were to remove the old bundles any unique patches that were not superseded would show up in a swlist. Of course the BUNDLE. syntax can also be used to put bundles back.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

this is one I simply wouldn't worry about. Its not an error or warning, it only indicates that some parts of the earlier qpk haven't been superceded.

I tend to ignore them as a "non-issue"
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

While I wouldn't panic, when I worked on the QPK bundles they were maintained as cumulative. Unless that has changed this could be a sign that something is in an incorrect state.

Certainly worth understanding on a production box.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I would agree with Bob, "Unless that has changed this could be a sign that something is in an incorrect state."

If I were you, I would run::

# swverify \*

Regards!

...JRF...