3562 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Anti-relaying in sendmail 8.8.6

Chuck Dugan
Occasional Contributor

Anti-relaying in sendmail 8.8.6

Hi there,

I have 2 10.20 systems, both running sendmail version 8.8.6 and both are using the anti-spamming features. Both systems have the 8.8.6 cumulative patch(PHNE_14041) and both are using the same .cf file. The problem is that one system is allowing relaying through the system, while the other is not. I need to be able to disable relaying on the other machine.

Thanks,
I'd rather be on my boat...
7 REPLIES 7
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-relaying in sendmail 8.8.6

CHUCK, UPGRADE TO SENDMAIL 8.9.3 (PHNE_18979)
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Chuck Dugan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris, but I have no control over the version that is being run. That's a project for next year...
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Chuck:

You might want to check the following on both machines...

/etc/mail/sendmail.cw
/etc/mail/service.switch
/etc/resovl.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf

I believe you can also set up /etc/mail/deny /etc/mail/relay.allow etc...
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

There are various rulesets that can be added to the sendmail.cf file. These rules are essentially the check_* rulesets.

First question I would have is are the sendmail.cf files identical on both machines? My guess would be no since you stated that one machine is doing the job while the other is not doing the job. It may be to just copy the sendmail.cf file from one box to the other and the stop/restart sendmail.
Chuck Dugan
Occasional Contributor

Rick,

Both systems are using the same cf file. In fact, the file was tested on the machine that is working and then copied over to the other machine. I have yet to find anything that is different in the sendmail configuration between the two machines...
Thanks.
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

It has been a while since 8.8.6, but there should be many nice ditties in the sendmail.cf file, which can be tweaked to allow specific hosts and domains access, or denied access. However the file that is the culprit may be the relay-domains file, which should be there in all versions of sendmail. Host and domain access is set within this file.
Make sure that the info in relay-domains is correct. Remove "relay-domains.pag" and "relay-domains.dir", and then makedbm relay-domains relay-domains.
Even if the relay-domains text file looks good, the database's may have old or bad info in them.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Ok: you will find documentation for setting up relay denial and anti-spamming on your server in the file:

/usr/share/doc/sendmail8-8_delta.txt

good luck.
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!