Operating System - HP-UX
1753516 Members
5110 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CDE problem - All windows appear in single workspace

Jerome Lutz

CDE problem - All windows appear in single workspace

I have several users that have a problem when logging into the system. All windows of their previously saved home session appear in a single workspace. I have done some investigation and have found "0.wmClientMachine: machine_name" in the file $HOME/.dt/sessions/home/dtwm.db". I suspect there is now a host name dependancy in the sessions files. If so, how do I accomodate each user mounting a common $HOME directory from a given HP-UX client machine, we have several? Saving a new home session from another client machine just overwrites the previous file with the new client information.
6 REPLIES 6
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor

Re: CDE problem - All windows appear in single workspace

You could use NIS and have the users $HOME dir mounted (or automounted) on the target servers. This way they would have the same CDE info on all servers.

If you don't use NIS then perhaps have the user(s) make there changes on one server. Have them open the "Style Manager". Click on the "Startup" icon. Select "Return to Home session" then click on "Set Home Session...". "Ok" the beast and copy there $HOME (or $HOME/.dt) to your target servers.
Jerome Lutz

Hello Doug,
I guess my submitted message was not very clear. My main concern is getting all windows of their saved HOME session in a single workspace. The user saves two xterm windows in each workspace and then saves their HOME session. The next day they login on a different workstation which mounts their HOME directory from the same server and all xterms appear in a single workspace. If they log into the same workstation the xterms appear as they were saved, two per workspace. My users login from different workstations depending on their needs.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I beleive this maybe down to the fact that CDE's workspace names and numbers are configurable ... hence may change and thus ALL clients are started in the first workspace.

However you could use a cde sessionetc script in $HOME/.dt/sessions to call a small c program to switch workspaces at login, ie start your applications in workspace One, then switch to ws 2 etc etc ... see attached
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1171-90162/B1171-90162_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1171-90162/00/00/21-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1171-90162/00/00/21-toc.html&searchterms=session%7chome&queryid=20040401-030145

To Set Up a Display-Specific Session

A user can set up a display-specific session to tune a session to a particular display.

Copy the HomeDirectory/.dt/
sessions directory to HomeDirectory/.dt/display where display is the real, unqualified host name (pablo:0 is valid, pablo.gato.com:0 or unix:0 is not).
For example, to create a display-specific session for display pablo.gato.com:0:

cp -r HomeDirectory/.dt/sessions HomeDirectory/.dt/pablo:0
When the user next logs in on display pablo.gato.com:0, the Session Manager will start that display-specific session.

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Jerome Lutz

Again, I believe I am not being very clear.

We have recently upgraded from HP-UX10.20 to HP-UX11i. In HP-UX10.20 a user could login to ANY client and get their saved HOME session with two xterms per workspace. On HP-UX11i the user logs into a client and ALL xterms appear in the top workspace. What changed in CDE to cause this? I just want the users to get their saved HOME session no matter which client they log into like they use to in HP-UX10.20. I have 12 client machines and am not keen on having to put a configuration for each machine in $HOME/.dt/sessions.

Thanks in advance.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

CDE's sessions saving mechanism changed between CDE 1.0 and 2.0 :

However from CDE Advance user guide pg 24 : these DISPLAY specific settings do not appear to be automatic :

you'll need to copy the $HOME/.dt/sessions to SHOME/.dt/display where display is the real, unqualified hostname.