108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CIFS mount not writable to normal users

SOLVED
Go to solution
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

CIFS mount not writable to normal users

I have setup CIFS client on HP-UX 11i Version 1. I am able to mount my windows share and read or write to it with no problems as long as I am a root user. The permissions on the directory before the CIFS mount is 777. So I have two questions. I have tried to do a cifslogin for a specific user and it kind of works. I can update a files in a subdirectory of the mount but not directly under the mount point .

1) Why cannot a normal user update files in this CIFS mount point?

2) I do not want to have to use cifslogin for all my users, so how do I make this mount point wide open for everyone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim
5 REPLIES 5
Aashique
Honored Contributor

Hi Timothy,
I am also using cifsclient. But still now i also didnt find the option to make cifslogin to all user.
I did it through script to make cifslogin.

Thanks & Regards

Aashique
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the response Ashique,

I to have scripted the this but that means that I have to maintain the cifsusers file and this will be a problem. Even then it still doesn't work 100%

Tim
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor
Solution

To avoid requiring all your users to do cifslogin, you enable the "guest user" feature. This is explained in the CIFS Client Admin Guide, which you can find under "I/O Cards and Networking Software" at docs.hp.com.

-Eric
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Thanks Eric,

This is what I needed.

I was running an old version of CIFS client and my documentation was not very good either. So I update to CIFS client 2.02 and reviewed the new documentation and it all makes sense now.

Thanks again!

Tim
slydmin
Advisor

I know this is a dead thread, but I hope this helps someone looking for a solution to let users access the filesystem mounted using cifsmount

cifsmount //server/dir /localmount -U Username -P password -s

cifslogin server username -P password
su - nonrootuser -c "cifslogin server username -P password"

cifslist -A