108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot add or delete a given printer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reinhardt
Occasional Advisor

Cannot add or delete a given printer

I have a couple of printers that are giving me problems.

If I try to delete them (with sam or removequeue), it says that they don't exist and if I try to add them (using sam or addqueue) it says that the already exist.

I've tried deleting some these printers' files from the various directories inside /etc/lp, but no luck.

Is there a way to manually wipe out all traces of a printer so I can add it again from scratch?

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot add or delete a given printer

did you also remove the request directory?

/var/spool/lp/request/
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

also, did you do and lpshut & lpsched after removal?
Reinhardt
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. That got me halfway there.

I should have mentioned it in the original post, but one of the problem printers was a laserjet and the other was a remote printer (Oce/Canon).

Removing the request directory removed all traces of the laserjet and I was able to re-add it successfully.

But it didn't help in removing the remote printer (it's an Oce/Canon). I confirmed that I removed the file from all directories under /etc/lp and /var/spool/lp/request, but it still shows up in sam, but doesn't let me delete it or re-add it.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I have a feeling Bill Hassell can answer this.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

my best guess is that the printer is still referenced in /var/spool/lp/pstatus. It's a binary file. try usings strings on the file and see what you get.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Reinhardt
Occasional Advisor

It's in /var/spool/lp/pstatus 3 times, twice by itself and once with our domain name.

OldSchool
Honored Contributor

an admitted long-shot, but try

find . -name "**"

from both /var/spool/lp and /etc/lp

Reinhardt
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately, nothing was found with the find command. I'm assuming at this point that it has something to do with the pstat file.

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

what happens if you try

# lpadmin -x