5192 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Chown: Not owner

Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Chown: Not owner

Hi,

I need my users to be able to chown their files. The reason being is that via samba, files are copied from windows to unix and on the unix system the files are owned by their winbind id...therefore, when logged into unix with their unix id,they can access their own files.

I have tried setting up the /etc/privgroup file:

group CHOWN

I then ran /etc/setprivgrp -f /etc/privgroup
and getprivgrp -v group showed CHOWN, but still could not use it.

Is there anyway, users can use chown with HPUX?
17 REPLIES 17
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Re: Chown: Not owner

Better yet - why not force user and group on the samba share?

force user = unixuser1
force group = unixgroup1

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Sally:

Create '/etc/logingroup' in the same format as '/etc/group' (see the 'group(4)' manpages.

Create a link between the two files:

# ln -s /etc/group /etc/logingroup

The 'setprivgrp' simply restricts (or not) a user's or group's ability to use 'chown'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Geoff,

I force the group name but not the user name because there are many users (in the same group) who write to these shares.

James,

I am not really sure what you mean...create a file called /etc/logingroup with only the group name who can chown; then link that group to /etc/group? But wouldn't that clobber /etc/group?

Sally
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Well - as long as the files are rw by group - and all the users are in that group - then you don't need to worry about chowning....you can use samba to set the permissions as well...in the global section add:

create mask = 0775
force create mode = 0775
directory mask = 0775

Rgds...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Geoff,

Yeah I have all that in too...the problem is that with ArcGIS (which is the application they use) the files have to be owned by their unix ID...not the winbind name. They can do everything they need but chown the files. Delete/mv/write all work..but they have to chown.
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

In your samba config directory set up a usermap.txt file. In that file map your windows id's to unix, for example:
mywinid = myunixid

In your smb.conf file define the user name map file, for example:

username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/usermap.txt

When a user saves a file to the Samba share on the UNIX system the file ownership will equal their UNIX id.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Sally:

From the manpages for 'group(4)' :

/* Begin Quote */

There are two files of this form in the system, /etc/group and /etc/logingroup. The file /etc/group exists to supply names for each group, and to support changing groups by means of the newgrp utility (see newgrp(1)). /etc/logingroup provides a default group access list for each user via login and initgroups() (see login(1) and initgroups(3C)).

...If /etc/logingroup is empty, the default group access list is empty. If /etc/logingroup and /etc/group are links to the same file, the default access list includes the entire set of groups associated with the user.

/* end quote */

Regards!

...JRF...

Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Ken,

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. When I copied the file from windows to the share it still had my winbind name as the owner. Then when I logged into unix as my unix ID, I could not chown the file to my unix id.

S.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

you can't have a usermap with winbind - defeats the purpose of winbind - so - it is ignored.

Best solution - ensure the users have the same username for Windows and Unix.

Rgds...Geoff