5776 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Create ISO copy of standard install DVD

SOLVED
Go to solution

Create ISO copy of standard install DVD

Hi,

The Ignite/UX manual gives plenty of guideleines on how to create a bootable golden image on a DVD or in the form of an ISO file for Integrity Virtual Machines.

However in my case what I want to acheieve is I think a lot simpler... I just want to take the standard install DVDs and create an ISO image on disk that I can use with Integrity Virtual Machines for install - no golden image, just a standard install.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find the procedure to do thsi anywhere...

Thanks

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
6 REPLIES 6
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Create ISO copy of standard install DVD

Hi Duncan,

Just use dd to have an iso image.

For example, if your dvd is /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0, just issue the following command :

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0 of=/var/install_hpux.iso bs=1024k

It works fine with HPVM Guests.

Regards
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

I'd also think that a dd should suffice.
But I would use bs=2k for CD/DVD copies.
I only know of Solaris install/boot CDs for a simple dd not to work since they master their quite oddly, where they put real Solaris slices on their CDs with separation for every platform boot image.

Madness, thy name is system administration

Thanks guys,

I should find the time to try this tomorrow and will report on success/failure then and assign points.

As it is I am facing another hurdle in that it appears the 0906 DVDs don't work with Integrity Virtual Machines at all... You can get as far as the HPUX.EFI boot loader, but can't load the IINSTALL kernel - it cr*ps out with a message about invalid ELF header... looks like I'll have to build an Ignite Server after all.

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Hi Duncan,

When i have installed HP-UX VM Guest, I used ISO files created with a DD from June 2006 Mission Critical Installation DVD 1 and 2. Every thing was OK and no trouble to load install kernel.

Maybe you have created an ISO file with the wrong block size i gave to you (sorry about that : i use this value of 1 Mo for dump between hard disks to have fast copy of a VM Guest to another one). Ralph is right : block size must be 2 Ko !

An other difference could be the HPVM version you use : i had the opportunity to work with HPVM 2.0, beta build 18. Wich one do U use ?

Regards

Eric

Yup, solutions work as advertised - used:

dd if=/dev/dsk/cXtYdZ of=/vm/DVD-Images/hpux11.23-eoe-dvd1.iso bs=2k

Then added that to the VM and it worked a treat.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Another option to this closed thread.

Create a basic Ignite ISO file using /opt/ignite/data/scripts/examples/make_media_install .

Allow the DVD burn to fail. The iso image will be a file in a chosen directory.

Ftp this iso file to the vm host and then create a virtual dvd device with it
hpvmmodify -P guest -a dvd:scsi::file:/path_to_iso/image.iso

Boot the guest from this vDVD device, it brings up the standard IUX installer. Then choose "ignite server" option and continue from there.

There is a white paper describing this on the IUX website.