4340 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D280 laser printer replacment

Darryl Hoar
Advisor

D280 laser printer replacment

Greetings,
we are running a D280, HPUX 10.20. We are stuck on this due to a specific mission critical application. We have an HP Laserjet III attached for printing and we have replaced it several times. We use it for text only printing (no graphics, etc). Since I will need the printer model file, etc for HPUX 10.20 for a replacment laser printer, I need a laser printer recommendation.

thanks,
Darryl
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: D280 laser printer replacment

Darryl,
have you tried your good friend, the search engine:
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Printers_5220894_2-hp_ux_10_20
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Alos,
can I also recommend looking at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

No points for this part of the solution, please.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You need a plain ASCII printer with a compatible interface to replaced the Laserjet III. The Laserjet III had a serial and a parallel interface, and an optional LAN card slot. A modern printer will be 1/10 the price of the old LJ-3 but unfortunately, serial is long gone and parallel (Centronix) ports are almost gone for today's printers. So all you need to look for is an HP printer (LaserJet, not the DeskJets or OfficeJets) with a compatible interface. Virtually all HP printers can use the same model script since you are just printing plain text. What kind of a connection are you using?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Darryl Hoar
Advisor

Running it on the Parallel (centronics) interface.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

OK. SO when you go to the store, be sure to check that there is a parallel interface. I would stay with HP Laserjets because of the age of your system. They are going to be harder to find these days. Your 10.20 system has a lot of HP printer scripts in the /usr/lib/lp/model directory but just use PCL5 as the model regardless of the printer you get.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin