7588 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Data growth Measurement

siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

Data growth Measurement

Hi All,

i want to measure data growth in hpux servers and all other servers also, how can i achive this,

like what was the data growth in server for pasth one year or few month back and what is now and what would be the growth, how we can claculate or generate the report,

i would like to generate automatically by script or software i don't want manuall

is it possible on storage level also?

i really searching solution but i couldn't able to find anyware so please any one help me out ?

Thanks in Advance
Siva
1 REPLY 1
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Data growth Measurement

Your question has almost no meaning because it lacks any context. It is fairly easy to periodically do a df and compare those values over time but all that shows you is total filesystem space used. In an application such as a database, it is very common to preallocate the file (table) space so that the actual space used with respect to the filesystem doesn't change unless files are actually added or removed from the database. The free space in such a system only has meaning within the application itself --- in this case the database. There is really no general answer to this question other than "it depends".
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.