1752762 Members
5056 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dead gateway detection

pa8700
Regular Advisor

Dead gateway detection

I am getting this mesage in syslog and dmesg.
I presume this is related to some gate way issue.But i am not able to identify which is the dead gate way.Can some body help me and what is means by the "0xa50840b " in the messsage.

Dead gateway detection can't ping the last remaining default gateway at 0xa50840b
7 REPLIES 7
Gokul Chandola
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
It will easy to understand if you post some more detail, log detail specially.

Regards,
Gokul Chandola
There is always some scope for improvment.
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

Hi,

to disable gateway detection:

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_ire_gw_probe 0

Kenan.
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

"0xa50840b" is probably an IP address expressed in hexadecimal. Although IP addresses are usually expressed in the a.b.c.d style, to a computer the IP address is essentially just a single big number.

Translated to a more familiar format, it would be 10.80.132.11. Would this IP address make sense in your network configuration?

i.e. 0xa50840b:
0x = identifier of a hexadecimal number

a50840b: 7 digits instead of 8 (the expected "full" length of an IP address or any 32-bit value), so apparently one "0" is omitted at the beginning. Just like in the decimal system, adding or removing zeros at the left side of the number won't change the value: 42 = 042 = 0042 etc.

Add zero(es) to the left to get a 8-digit hexadecimal number: 0a50840b.

Group to one-byte-length numbers:
0x0a.0x50.0x84.0x0b

When each byte is individually converted to decimal, it becomes:

MK
MK
pa8700
Regular Advisor

Thanks Matti,

this IP refers to one of aour network swith and am i am able to ping to this also.But I dont have any idea.that why it is saying dead gate way.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is a common problem where gateways (routers) have ping response turned off for security. Since this is a common practice, the default setting causes LAN connections to go offline after a few minutes. As mentioned, use ndd to turn off this annoying feature. But most important, edit the ndd.conf file to make the change permanent.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
pa8700
Regular Advisor

i am getting ping response from that ip.
but still y it is saying dead gate way
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Please check the following technical document

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c01036732-3
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."