108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk mount points...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott E Smith
Frequent Advisor

Disk mount points...

We are currently moving two systems from one datacenter to another. Right now all of the external disk logical volumes are mounted off of the / filesystem (e.g. /m008). For obviuos reasons we would like to move the mounts but we are going to have a lot of issues with customized scripts etc that will need to be re-written. Would there be a performance impact to disk i/o if we put a link at /m008 that went to /var/opt/xxx/xxxx.... Our project has an impossible timeline and no budget (what's new) and we are looking for a workable temporary solution. All replies appreciated...Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

A symbolic link will not cost anything in performance. It's a very appropriate solution.

Regards!

...JRF...
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

are the logical volumes in a seperate volume group? if so then there is no need to move them. if the logical volumes are directly off / then yes, I would recommend moving them to a different mount point or just create a different volume group and keep the mount point the same. - this way yours scripts won't be affected
All paths lead to destiny
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

James... you're too fast... this was the second time you beat me today.
All paths lead to destiny
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

As a "workable temporary solution" yes the sym link makes sense. In the long run having too many sym link will impact the performance in general, not significant though. I usually shy away from having to create sym link unless it takes major resources to update the application scripts/programs.
my $0.02
Mike Miller_8
Regular Advisor

We've used links quite a bit for this kind of thing and have had no problems. One note though - pay close attention to the attributes and ownerships of the link that you create.
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Scott,

There will be no performance issue at all with your mountpoint approach. You can in fact make this a permanent solution if you wish.

Hai