108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Duplicating Printers From Existing 10.20 Server to New 11.0 Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Jenkins
Occasional Advisor

Duplicating Printers From Existing 10.20 Server to New 11.0 Server

I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction as I'm having a mental block..

I'm in the middle of configuring a new server (11.0) to replace an existing server (10.20). I need to duplicate the 44 printers currently being used, onto the new server. Rather than manually inputing each printer, can I simply copy over the configuration files from the old server? If so which (and where) files would I need to copy?

Many thanks.

Jon.
4 REPLIES 4
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

See the following thread. The LP system is the same in 10.20 and 11.00. Keep in mind that this method only duplicates the essential stuff found in /etc/lp and /var/spool/lp. Any customizations in /usr/lib/lp must be manually duplicated. Also, any special printing software (JetAdmin for example) must be installed separately.

Now may be a good time to re-evaluate your printing solution. Here, we found that the majority of our LaserJets networked with Emulex cards (long story involving VMS and LAT) print just fine using the native HPUX rlp in 10.20 and 11.00, so we didn't need to install the unsupported Emulex printing software on the new 11.00 box. After the initial duplication of printers using /usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr, we manually recreated each Emulex printer.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xd588e7e60861d511abcd0090277a778c,00.html
Haitham Hamad
Regular Advisor

I did this procedure not too long ago.
1- On the HP-UX 10.2,
Go to SAM -> Printers and Plotters -> LP spooler -> Save/Restore spooler configuration
2. Choose Actions -> Save Spooler Configuration
3. From the UNIX prompt> Tar (/var/sam/lp)
tar cvf /tmp/lpqueues.tar /var/sam/lp
4. Copy the tar file to the target system (store until after the upgrade to 11.0) back to /var/sam/lp
5. Untar the file in /var/sam/lp directory
tar xvf lpqueues.tar
6.Go to SAM -> Printers and Plotters -> LP spooler -> Save/Restore spooler configuration
7. Choose Actions -> Restore Spooler Configuration
8. Check lp daemon is running
#ps ?ef|grep lpsched
If daemon is not running, run
#lpsched

Worked on six servers!

Hope this helps
Haitham
Jon Jenkins
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for replies. As a solo Sys Admin within my company it was great to discover this forum earlier today, now I can discuss issues with others, fantastic! I'm looking forward now to sharing knowledge. Thanks for making my first posting a success, its edging towards midnight now in the UK (and I'm at home rather than work), so I'll post back (and rate) tomorrow.

JJ
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jon,

Haitham is right, the easiest way to do this task is through sam.

Instead of using the sam gui you could also use the corresponding sam commands from your shell. I'm using this to synchronize the spoolers on multiple boxes.

first export the spooler information
lpshut 2>&1
/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp > /dev/null

then transfer /var/sam/lp to the other machine(nsf,cpio,tar)

and there import information to spooler

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -R -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp

lpsched 2>&1
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...