Operating System - HP-UX
1748089 Members
4948 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EMC Clariion cx4/960 ioscan EXTREMELY slow

MK,s advice is spot on - the problem you describe sounds very much like a Clariion where the host modes are not set correctly for 11iv3 (they have different settings from 11iv1 and 11iv2), resulting in the inactive paths being constantly trespassed by the MPIO subsystem round-robin'ing - which in turn causes the Clariion to contsnatly move the "owning controller" for any given LUN.

One quick and easy way to check if things are setup correctly - run the following on one of your agile DSFs for the Clariion storage:

scsimgr lun_map -D /dev/rdisk/diskXX

You should see the same number of paths listed STANDBY as you see ACTIVE (standard characteristics for a ALUA disk array like the Clariion) If you don't then the Clariion host modes are not configured correctly for HP-UX11iv3

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
ronn48
Advisor

Thanks Duncan.

I ran the command, but it complained that I was still using the legacy DSF's.  If I run the rmsf command, will that immediately get rid of the old and bring in the new, or, (I imagine,) I have to run the insf command to see the new /dev/disk/disk##?

I'm only here a couple of more hours, then it's 2 days of travelling.  I'll have to look into this when I get home.  I appreciate any input while I'm in transit though.

Regards,

Ron

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

There is an excellent whitepaper (and a script: '/usr/contrib/bin/vgdsf') to guide you in migrating from legacy to agile devices:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01916036/c01916036.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...

ronn48
Advisor

Hi!!

I took a look at that white paper briefly.  I even tried to run that script on another server, (BL870C,) that was not hooked up to the Clariion.  The first thing I noticed was that it did not change anything on the server, (perhaps a reboot is requried?)  Secondly, this script seems to only change the device file names if they are currently setup with a volume group.  The clariion has luns setup on it, however we have not been able to get as far as setting up luns on the system.  Is there anything else I may be missing?  I'm leaning towards the switch.  The system dmesg shows both fiber cards losing, then regaining connection.  If it were only one of the cards, I would replace it.  But both? 

f. halili
Trusted Contributor

Are you using PowerPath? From my previous HPUX install with a Clarrion storage,  we were using 11.31 and it was better performance without the powerpath.

Cheers,

f. halili

derekh
ronn48
Advisor

we ARE using PowerPath.