1753769 Members
5360 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FTP Transfer Checking

Fuad_1
Regular Advisor

FTP Transfer Checking

How to find out if there is one file are not sucessfully transfered using FTP from my side.
Set goals, and work to achieve them
8 REPLIES 8
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Enable verbose mode in ftp.
By default it is enabled.
There is no compare command within ftp.
You may use remote shell to do that.

TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello,

How about this script!

ftp -nv 192.168.1.1>/directory/ftp.log <user user pass
mput *.*
bye EOF
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you get 3 digit return codes from the other side. Try it out manually, direct the output of the ftp to a file and check it for bytes transferred and transfer complete codes.

greetings

Michael
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Other way to see if the file is transfered completely is, see on the destination that the file has its permission and ownership set, coz till the file is in progress of tranfer the permissions will be 000 and owner is root.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I think you will automaticate control using a ftp script; ftp has not verify command neither any stop on error; so, unique way is same as tape backup: verify.
After send you can receive same files (in other directory) and then compare locally; obviusly you need double transfer time.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Brian Markus
Valued Contributor

We go a step further. We must make 100% sure that the files are correct. We use MD5 to obtain a checksum value prior to transferring, and then transfer the file. Once the file is transferred we have a script that does the MD5 checksum the receiving host. We then do a diff. All of this is done using scripts.

Good luck

-Brian.
When a sys-admin say's maybe, they don't mean 'yes'!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

My fdavorite method is to use Perl Net::FTP module. This link has a Perl script attached that make FTP transfers (with error checking and retransmissions) very easy.

Note: It also works unchanged on Windows with one of the free Perls.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/parseCurl.do?CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0x121faaf9f7b2d711abdc0090277a778c%2C00.html&admit=716493758+1068410773213+28353475
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Fuad,

is your problem solved? If so, could you award some points to those, who could help you?

greetings,

Michael