New Discussion

Re: FTP user with permissions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

FTP user with permissions

Hi Experts

I want to create one ftp user xyz .with the below said criterias are matched . Im creating this user by editing passwd file with vipw and ,giving input .and also adding the user with ftp group .Thants enough or not.

Grant permissions for RENAME

Configure Directories/Files so that we can see it on FTP tools on FFFTP.what is FFFTP.

Configure so that the strings input in remarks blanks can be  the password.

Set all FTP user to be able to send and receive files with names in Japanese language.

Make the home directory into a root directory, and ensure that it can not be transfer to others directories.

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
4 REPLIES 4
Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Experts

I want to set permission for The home directory , that it can not be transfer to others directories.

I copied /usr and /bin folder from /home/ftp

and change the ownershp

Which permission i have to set  , to the copied folders

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, just editing the passwd file will not be enough to fulfill all the requirements.

> Grant permissions for RENAME

On HP-UX, the RENAME permission is always granted on writeable directories by default. You would have to configure the FTP server software to explicitly reject RENAME operations if that was required. So this one is easy: you don't have to do anything special here.

> Configure Directories/Files so that we can see it on FTP tools on FFFTP.what is FFFTP.

Google says it's just a Japanese FTP client  for Windows:

http://www2.biglobe.ne.jp/sota/ffftp-e.html

> Set all FTP user to be able to send and receive files with names in Japanese language.

That means you should make sure the ftpd daemon starts with locale settings appropriate for Japanese. In order to do that properly, I think you'll need to know which character encoding your clients will be using (UTF-8 or something else?)

If your ftpd daemon is started by inetd, you might need to make inetd start a script instead of the real ftpd. That script would just set the appropriate locale variables (mainly LANG and/or LC_CTYPE depending on your requirements; use LC_CTYPE if you want ftpd to accept Japanese filenames but output logs and error messages in English) and run the real ftpd. Something like this:

#!/bin/sh
export LC_CTYPE=C.utf8
exec /usr/sbin/ftpd "$@"

If your ftpd daemon has its own start-up script, you can add the locale variable settings in that start-up script.

> Make the home directory into a root directory, and ensure that it can not be transfer to others directories.

This is probably the most complicated requirement in this list. You'll need to implement a "chrooted" FTP user.

Please see:

http://www.hpug.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=492&Itemid=93

MK
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

With FTP  it would be best to set up a jailed root.

if you are Linux, generally the installed or installable FTP is VSFTPD.

in VSFTP, edit the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

vi or nano /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

and change, add, or uncomment the following line:

chroot_local_user=YES

Save the file and restart VSFTP

/etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

I

n ProFTPD, edit the following file:

/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf

and uncomment the following line (remove the # in front of it):

DefaultRoot ~

If you need to jail the users further, for example, in their document root directories (such as public_html), use the following line:

DefaultRoot ~/public_html

Save the file and restart ProFTPD:

/etc/init.d/proftpd restart

Reference Page:

http://www.serverschool.com/server-configuration/jail-ftp-users-to-their-home-directories/

Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

Hi

Its for HP-ux

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S