FileSystem Software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eli Daniel
Super Advisor

FileSystem Software

hi, i need help

cuestion:
The file systems and / or volume are using the feature of HP-UX 11.31 or are using agile Addressing Addressing the legacy.

how to know which version to use
4 REPLIES 4
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: FileSystem Software

HP-UX 11.31 onwards using Agile addressing and you must choose that. Do not use legacy.
Regards
Shibin
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Agile addressing means that your device file names are persistent and would look like '/dev/disk/disk3' instead of something like '/dev/dsk/c0d0t3'. Notice too "disk" instead of "dsk" and similarly "rdisk" in lieu of 'rdsk'.

You will see this in 'vgdisplay' output. Using 'ioscan -fn' will give you the *legacy* view, whereas 'ioscan -N -fn' will show the Agile View.

An excellent whitepaper is:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01916036/c01916036.pdf

New options exist for 'vgimport' and 'vgscan' to choose the device file model you want to deploy. There is also a script called 'vgdsf' to migrate a LFM volume group from the legacy to the agile model in the appendix of the above whitepaper.

Regards!

...JRF...
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I will say again that legacy addressing is still present only for backward comatiblity and will be obsolete in future releases. Use the persistent DSF or the agile address. Note :- the Agile address Lunpath hardware path and Agile Lun hardware path are two different things where the latter represents a virtualized hardware address and the former is related to a device handle. Authentication in the agile scheme is done with the WWID.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Eli Daniel
Super Advisor

Thanks,
I used Addressing the legacy

strings /etc/lvmtab
/dev/dsk/c3t5d5