System Administration
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HP9000 Containers - Creating Network Print Queues

HP9000 Containers - Creating Network Print Queues

I have a HP9000 Container that I need to configure a new network print queue for.  I have created the queue on the Container host server and it works.  When I try to print from the Container it does not know about the new queue on the host server.  I need to know the procedure, step by step, on how to create a new network print queue for a HP9000 Container to use.

I am running a System Container using HP9000 Containers version A.03.01.03.  The container host server is running HPUX 11.31.

Many thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor

Re: HP9000 Containers - Creating Network Print Queues

Page 26 and page 35  of the HP9000 Containers Admin Guide has some basic instructions, though I'm not sure how useful it is.

I used those lpmgr commands to migrate the print queues from the old PA-RISC server to the HP9000 Container host.  That worked fine.   What I am trying to do is to create a new print queue on the container host so the container can use it.  That seems to be the mystery.

The Integrity host system and the container instances are name space isolated. You would need to expose the host printer device to specific container(s).

# srp -add <container_name> -tune device=<device_path>

Then need to expose the host system print queue as remote queue inside container for applications to access.

On the container host I executed your suggested command using /dev/null as the device_path for network printer.

What then has to be done to "expose" this host system queue as a remote queue inside the container?

A colleague of mine recommended following steps for a similar query.

I think you need to add/delete the printer from inside the container too, using lpadmin command

I haven’t tested with a real printer, but a dummy setup (print to file) did work fine. Note that below commands are to be executed from within the container.

$ lpshut

scheduler stopped

$ cd /tmp

$ touch devfile

$ chmod 777 devfile

$ lpadmin -plp1 -vdevfile -mdumb

$ accept lp1

destination "lp1" now accepting requests

$ enable lp1

printer "lp1" now enabled

$ lpsched

scheduler is running

$ date | lp -dlp1 –onbr

equest id is lp1-1 (standard input)

$ cat devfile

Mon Dec 17 14:38:26 IST 2012 

Using similar steps you should be able to configure remote print queue inside the HP 9000 Containers.

Your colleague was on to something, thank you for sharing.  It does appear that I need to create the queue inside the container.  It does not even need to be defined on the container host server.  In addition to this forum I had also opened a call with HP.  I was instructed via the call to perform the following.

1.  On the container the following ownerships and permissions must be as follows:

/etc     ownership= root:root    permissions= 755

/etc/lp   ownership=  lp:bin    permissions= 755

/etc/lp/member    ownership= lp:bin   permissions= 755

2.  On the container, create a remote print queue attached to a Windows print server

lpadmin -p<queue_name>  -v/dev/null -mrmodel -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel -orm<ip_of_windows_print_server>                  - orp<windows_print_server_queue_name>

accept <queue_name>

enable <queue_name>

To create a regulare network print queue, use hppi as you normally would.

I am now able to print from the container.  The HP9000 Containers Admin Guide will have to be corrected.

Thank you for your response to this post.